Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA ?

joesbruiser

I am a complete NOOB to competitive pistol shooting.For the past month I have been looking around the web checking it out and have made my mind up that i want to give it a try.I hope i do not get on anyone's nerves asking dumb questions.That's not a good foot to start off on.

I do not know anyone in my area that shoots so I have to just rely on the web until I meet someone local.

I have made my mind up that I should start in IDPA.Is this a good choice for a new guy?

Next would be equipment I have several pistols that would fit in USPSA open I know for sure but from what I have gathered that would be like jumping in head first.

So I guess after typing all that I just really would like to know would my current 1911 fit in any IDPA classes or do I need to start with a different platform?

Its a colt frame,Caspian slide with bushed barrel government model in 45 ACP,magwell,a decent trigger group,full length guide rod checkered front and rear,Bo-Mar rear sights and a dove tail front blade.

If I knew how I would post a pic of it and of my current holster and mag pouch setup to see if they would fit the bill also.

Thanks for any input.

Joe

You're 1911 would fit just fine in the Custom Defence Pistol division. It just has to fit in the box and make weight. But, you should be able to shoot for a while before that becomes a problem. Local club matches are usually slightly more relaxed for people starting out.

As for starting out in IDPA, sure! It is fine for that. It is a bit less gear intensive than USPSA so that will make it even easier.

You're 1911 would fit just fine in the Custom Defence Pistol division. It just has to fit in the box and make weight. But, you should be able to shoot for a while before that becomes a problem. Local club matches are usually slightly more relaxed for people starting out.

As for starting out in IDPA, sure! It is fine for that. It is a bit less gear intensive than USPSA so that will make it even easier.

Read up on the rule book. A good foundation in the rule book will cut down on beginner's jitters.

Your 1911 sounds like a very typical IDPA CDP division gun. Go to www.idpa,com and look for a club close to you. Contact number should be listed.

I have never found a club that wasn't helpful to a new shooter. Don't try to bluff your way through a match...tell them you are new and most times they will fall all over themselves trying to help you out.

You will need a vertical or slightly "FBI cant" holster that is suitable for concealed carry and not offset to the outside of the body (no daylight between the holster and belt). Holsters with straps are a royal pain for compitition so use either a strapless tension adjustable or open top that holds the pistol so it won't fall out while running etc but is still easy to draw from. Trigger must be covered by the holster.

You will need two mags on the belt and one for the gun. Either a double mag pouch or two singles...most folks use two singles so they can position them slightly apart on the belt for better mag grasping.

Take about 200 rounds with you. Most times 100 to 150 is enough but more is better.

Take a vest, windbreaker or some type of covering garment that will cover the holstered pistol and mags when standing with your arms extended to the sides like a scarecrow.

Most of all...in this order:

Be safe

Be accurate

Have fun

Be fast later after you've mastered the first two

Edited by MTSCMike