Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Wondering...........

Dr.Woo

Hi All! I recently got my 550B from Brian's Store. A pleasure to do business with him. He answered my questions and helped me figure out what all I needed.

I am loading 45 ACP and 9mm.

The first thing I want to ask is about sizing the 9mm brass. Is the resizing die supposed to be set the same as on strait case pistol brass? For setting the die I raised the shell plate and screwed the die in until it touched, and backed it off 1 turn. Is this correct for 9mm? I'm using Dillon Dies if that makes any difference.

The other question is about the powder measure consistency. I pull 3 or 4 charges after any adjustments. I am weighing on a Mack Precision electronic scale. What kind of consistency should I expect with Bullseye and W321 powders? I am getting : 4.5, 4.44, 4.48, 4.44, 4.48. Measuring W231. Is this about what I should expect?

Welcome to the forum. I always adjust the sizing die the same for all pistol calibers. With a 9mm the lower the die the better the chance of removing "glock bulge". Check on the search and you'll find better ways to iron out the bulge. Kudos to you for hooking up with Brian.Smart move for a newbie. (kidding) Read ALL the pinned posts on the 550B and reloading here. Lots of great stuff. :cheers:

Forgot to add that IMHO you're good to go on the charge weight. Brian has a post somewhere here on the best way to check consistency.

Edited by Youngeyes

Use your barrel to verify that the cases are being sized sufficiently.

There is no single right way for all loaders and guns. Your barrel is your best case gage. Keep it by your loading stations and use it to check your brass frequently.

Thanks, I have a case Gage from Dillon that I use during my final inspection. I am sure I don't have any case bulge. I noticed a bit of the opposite on finished rounds. The brass is sized in a bit in the middle between the bullet and the thicker part of the case wall, say about 1/4" from the base. I don't see this in factory loads. I wonder if the sizing die is tapered or strait? 9mm Luger has a tapered case, yes? at any rate, I have not had any fail to gage.

I noticed a bit of the opposite on finished rounds. The brass is sized in a bit in the middle between the bullet and the thicker part of the case wall, say about 1/4" from the base. I don't see this in factory loads.

that's the bulge after loading, which is a good thing, it keeps bullets from setting back in the case.

BTW your charges are good as far as variance.

Dr.Woo, you want your sizing die to just kiss or barely touch the shell plate. Drop 10 charges on your powder scale pan and place the ten charges + your plate on your scale, for example if your going for a powder drop charge of 4.8gr. put 10 charges on the pan and place on the scale and you should get an average of 48.0 grains if it ain't. At the charge you want adjust -/+ untill you get what your lokking for.. after the cartrage is compleated, yes gage with your barrel and make sure your C.O.L is what you want and will fit your magz that they don't rub on the walls of your magz.. if you see a buldge the kinda looks like a cokacola bottle its good... as long as it guage's your barrel and drops in easy! Good luck on your quest and welcome to the forums... :cheers: