Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limcat open upper race gun...

jimW

I have a SVI Infinity .40 caliber gun. I emailed Johnny Lim of Limcat about converting it into an open gun. Yes, I've read on this forum that it is not cost effective to do this.

Johnny, had a great recommendation. He recommended that I just build a new upper in 38 Super. This way I'll essentially have two guns with the 2 uppers: limited 40 and open 38 super.

This is what he emailed me:

"the cost of the new Open top end is $2000.00 with your Docter scope supplied to me..new top end Include with the price is..new Slide, new Shuemann Hybrid barrel, Limcat tamer Comp, Guide rod with reverse plug, 10Lbs Spring, Aftec Extractor, Limcat Long Fifring pin, Limcat Firing pin stop, Hard chrome finish..new top end fitted to your existing frame, front and rear serrations.flat top with racing stripes, installation of compensator, install your docter sight, and test fire for reliability..take your time and thin about this..but I think its the best way to go..because I think if I turn your 40S&W into Open gun I know you will not be happy and you will end up spending more money..not because of its reliability but because of its disadvantage when competing against those who shoots with 38 super and maybe someday you might want to go back and shoot limited..But then again I will do what you ask its your gun I just give you something to think about before you do something.Please do get back with me.."

I really like his idea. Yes it is fairly expensive for this new upper- $2000. But a whole new Limcat open racegun is $3600. I've wanted a Limcat racegun for over 10 years because aesthetically they are the best, IMO.

What do you guys think about this idea.

Here are 2 pics of his open guns. I'm not sure which one my upper will look like. I can't find a pic of the Limcat Tamer Comp he is referring to above.

PHANTERAWEB.JPG

TIGERCATWEB.JPG

short_round: you can't tease me like that. Saying Johnny built your guns and not showing me some pics. How about posting some pics. :)

BTW- which Limcat models do you own?

It is fairly easy for Johnny to build you another frame assembly in the future if you decide you want 2 complete guns. Maybe you can check on the cost before you make a decision.

James

How about this from the USPSA Classifieds (I didn't check if Toby posted it here):

Limcat phantera - $2000.00 - (ad #3722)

Updated: 05/03/2004 9:24:48 AM

Name: toby walker - a36455

Email: walkert@aisd.org

Price: $2000.00

limcat 38 supercomp phantera. accurailed, blue SV painted grip, aftec extractor, black cmore, dawson magwell, hard chromed. comes with one Dawson tuned STI mag. $2000 shipped.

• 2 weeks later...

Man - I've toyed with the very same idea, and you're getting the same feedback that I did (although I wanted to go Open 40).

When it all boils down, I'd go with a complete gun. Not because I listened to all these yahoo's with opinions, but because I learned some things with my Limited gun (which is nearly identical to yours). The less I mess with it, the better it behaves. I'm saving for a complete Open gun.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a bit of time thinking about this issue. The biggest problem in creating a convertible gun is the scope mount. You're on the right page with a Docter or JPoint milled into the slide. But, that's the compromise--if you don't like the slide mounted optic, you're out of luck.

I can't see spending $2,000 on a new top end. A lower cost alternative would be an STI flattop slide, $300; Aftec extractor, $70; STI S-2 comp and barrel, $315; milling for Docter, $100; fitting barrel and slide, maybe $250. That comes out to less than $1,000 plus the cost of the Docter. That's the route I'm seriously considering. I find the .40 appealing because all I'd have to buy is 1 big stick (I already have 140 mm mags), lighter bullets and a slower powder. It seems like a fairly cheap way to get into open. If I decide I like the class, I can always build another gun down the road.