Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally got my match 9mm

e-mishka

I will have it in my hands in 48 hours, signed all the paperwork at the FFL guy yesterday.

72 hour wait period is ok with me, but my hands are itching to go try it out :D

In any case, I inspected gun yesterday and all seems good. It came with one mag from factory but

I bought one extra from the seller.

One that came from factory has a black follower, second extra mag has red follower.

Should i contact eaa and replace mag with red follower, since i hear it has issues?

just contacted eaa, i'll send out red follower mag for replacement and get couple extra ones.

So,

whats the best way to break this baby in, Just oil and shoot couple hundred rounds?

Can i do any "poor man's" trigger jobs or anything of that sort, does it need one?

Good video link to dissambly and tunning will be a big help.

Welcome new EAA owner!

Check out Henning's videos:

http://www.henningsh...e.assembly.html

http://www.henningsh...r.assembly.html

On your Match:

- you won't have an ambi safety, but it'll be same as in the limited.

- you won't have the hammer pin and hammer pin-pin. Instead you'll have a roll pin. Fortunately you won't have to mess with that unless you are replacing your hammer.

- you'll just have a straight barrel, instead of a cone barrel and bushing. That simplifies getting the guide rod and spring in and out.

There is a thread here where somebody did a review on their new Limited and what they did:

http://www.brianenos...showtopic=64652

You don't have to go to all those extremes. Just start off by polishing the plunger, the underside of the trigger bow where it rides on the plunger, and the sides of the trigger bow. Polishing these parts is easy and shouldn't take more than 5 minutes with a buffing attachment on a Dremel. The hard part is reinstalling the trigger after you've removed it. Having that slave pin made from the straw is invaluable.

Leave the sear and hammer hooks alone. As noted elsewhere in this forum, the factory parts are only surface hardened once you break through that surface, the metal is pretty soft and your trigger job will not last long.

Don't play with the overtravel/pre-travel until you have a good understanding of how these affect the sear and resetting the sear. Going too much on direction will have the sear dragging on the hammer as it falls giving you light strikes. Going too far another direction will prevent the sear from resetting.

Edited by Skydiver

As Skydiver mentioned, the best "bang for your buck" modification is polishing the plunger and the slot where it goes into the trigger bar.

After that a reduced power hammer spring and a longer firing pin can get you a #3.5 lb trigger pull.

The Match is pretty smooth to start with. Mine didn't need much "break in" compared to other guns I've had.

Just feed it and clean it once in a while and you should be good.. ;)

(I would recommend using grease on the slide, barrel, and plunger once you break it in. I personally use Lubriplate SFL-1)

My first Match was extremely smooth, but that's because is was in the gun shop's display case for almost a year and a lot of people had dry fired it by that time.

My second Match came out of the delivery truck, into the backroom, to the shop front, and straight home with me. Trigger was already out of the box. It was even better after a few minutes with a polishing wheel.

Nealio's recommendation for the XL firing pin and lighter hammer spring is right on as the next set of "upgrades".

I'll clean it and shoot it as is first to establish a base line. Then I'll do some polishing and compare.

Do you think sand paper will work insead of dremmel? (I know, I know - every man should have a dremmel, im gonna get one soon too ;) )

I don't use a Dremel on anything. I only use hand stones, our sandpaper. For polishing I start with 1000 grit, then move to 2000 grit. That should give you a really nice mirror finish and take the machining marks out of the surface.

is this a small frame or large frame? (small mags or large mags?)

Polishing the plunger and the under side of the trigger bar will help, as will the back top of the trigger bar, hammer strut and hammer spring, and disconnector where it slides on between the sear cage and ledge of the frame (which is under the sear cage)

is this a small frame or large frame? (small mags or large mags?)

Polishing the plunger and the under side of the trigger bar will help, as will the back top of the trigger bar, hammer strut and hammer spring, and disconnector where it slides on between the sear cage and ledge of the frame (which is under the sear cage)

I don't think the Match has a disconnector since it is Single Action only.

Hitting those spots does help as well. I didn't see/feel a big impact on my Tanfoglio's polishing those spots, but I do know that it made a huge difference in my CZ. Considering that the Witnesses are CZ clones, it should hurt to do so because it can only get better.

The downside to polishing the hammer strut and hammer spring is that reinstalling the hammer can be really frustrating on a Match because it uses a roll pin for the hammer rather than something like the hammer pin on a Limited.

Edited by Skydiver

Got my new pistol home yesterday, cleaned and lubed it, and im gonna go shoot it today.

First impressions:

Feels great in my hands, very solid and good weight.

After i field stripped it, i checked on the inside of the frame for machining marks and all seems pretty smooth.

Barrel looked good too.

Slide had some machining marks on it and light burrows, especially on the rails, they are not big but its there.

Also what i noticed every sharp angle cut on the slide is like razor sharp, i would guess it could be rounded a bit.

I cleaned off factory lube, put a bit oil on the triger bars and hammer/sear area, put some glide slide on the rails, barrel, and inside of the slide.

Trigger out of the box has longer pretravel that i like and reset will need to be shortened. Will see how the pull will get after minor polishing.

Btw i got two mags with it, one came with pistol (black follower 17 rnd), second was purchased from same dealer (red follower with space in the front 17 rnd). I will see how they run.

What i don't understand is on eaa website it states 17+1, on buds or any other dealer 18+1. Are there 18 rnd mags for this pistol?

Don't do anything to it for now... go out and run a few thousand through it before you start messing with it. It will give you a good baseline to see if the thing runs okay to start with. It may have an issue that you need to send it back and you don't want to have modded it in the mean time....

JT