Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Poor focus

Stuck in C

In the last two local matches, my performance has been the worst in four or five years. I started out the season really well, and have gone steeply down hill ever since. My actual shooting is ok, but it's stupid stage errors that is ruining everything. I keep screwing up where I do re-loads, even though I plan them during walk through. There was a stage that required a retreat from a hallway, and I went way too far on the way back and tripped over the starting box (finger off trigger, muzzle down range, but I still nearly gave the RO a heart attack). I shot the paper from one position on another stage but didn't engage the steel and had to go back for it (I was dead last on that stage). Instead of stepping up on a platform from where I was (only about 18 inches high) I jogged all way around to use the stairs. I'm not that old and fat. I'm not sure how to get my head back in the game before the next match...

I've had a similar problem trying to get back on the competitive shooting "horse" after a 6 year layoff. The shooting skill (accuracy) came back quickly but the stage management and trigger control skills still suffer.

I have come to the conclusion that I am thinking too much. I know that I know how to do this but when I step to the line I start thinking things like "Don't screw this up like you did last time" or "Dang, there's a small steel in front of a no-shoot...I've had trouble with those lately". NEGATIVE thinking...just like stepping to the plate thinking "Don't strike out"...it pollutes your ability.

I tend to shoot better when I focus on something positive like "shoot all A's no matter how long it takes" or "all steel falls with one round". Winning becomes secondary to satisfying myself with my performance as measured by my goal for that stage. I didn't win my last match but I had the lowest penalty percentage of all the shooters who competed. That made me feel better about my progress.

From here on out I am approaching each stage as a learning and practice tool. Pick a focus for that stage and execute that focus regardless of being competitive. I am my only competition. You can "take a break" and still shoot...take a break from trying to be competitive and just shoot with a focus on improving one skill at a time.

All good points for sure, plus it should still be fun. For me, if shooting stops being fun, or if I'm not in the proper frame of mind...then my shooting abiltiy goes down hill fast :excl:

It could be awhile before I have enough free time for practice and matches to really make a big difference. But in the meantime, I will find time in my schedule to do what I can...and still have fun B)

As the saying goes, may we all be knee deep in brass...and still shooting fast :sight: