Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ignorance must be great

JohnRodriguez

I just got my May/June issue of the Front Sight. In it a member made the very dumb comment as to why a revolver that uses speedloaders is not put into open division. He's making this comparision between them and shotguns in 3-gun matches that use speedloaders.

I think that it's pretty sad that he has such little knowledge of revolvers that he had to try and use them as a example. I'm not sure what burned me up more, his comments or the fact that Front Sight was stupid enough print them, and show their disregard to those of use who choose to compete with revolvers.

those of you who read his comment in the front sight will see why it burned my butt up.

John:

I know what you mean. What the authors trying to do is to justify his opinion by using an unrelated example.

Revolver speedloaders are a far cry from shotgun speedloaders. If you need further claification than that...your in trouble.

I respect his right to say what he said but I can't agree with it in ANY fashion. I fail to see the "good point".

Maybe he's mad because he can't use that shotgun speedloader he owns? <_<

If so, join the club. I have TONS of stuff I can't use because of rules changes.

I'd say that they perform the same function, and that stripper clips fit the description as well.

Revolver speedloaders have been with us for a long time, and we are used to everyone having them.

Shotgun speedloaders are relatively new, possesed by the speedy. The rulemakers were able to act fast enough to keep them out of limited without disgruntling too many.

You have to draw the line somewhere, and it's not going to make everyone happy.

I agree with your statement about drawing the line somewhere wholeheartedly. ;)

The difference here is, revolver speedloaders fit in your pocket...shotgun speedloaders don't .

An argument COULD be made that speedloaders for shotguns aren't used anywhere outside the IPSC world where revolver speedloaders are.

John,

We have a club here in East Tennessee that occasionally runs revolver matches in a primitive only format, in other words, no loading devices of any kind(which is very similar to limited shotgun). You are limited to dump pouches, belt loops or pants pockets.

I agree with Wide45 the guy in front sight had a point but not a very solid one. Shotguns are about the crudest firearms on the planet and figuring out ways to carry ammo to feed them even in limited class gets pretty ridiculous. But at the same time the fellow that comes to the line with a dozen full moon clips strung across his belt looking like Batman's utility belt is flirting with the ridiculous also. We do what we have to do to be competitive whether we are at the Handgun Nationals or the street.

Og

"We have to do what we have to do to be competitive whether we're at the handgun nationals or on the street".

My point exactly.

Take this a step further...while it's may seem "ridiciulous" to carry a belt full of speedloaders ( wheelgun guys MUST do this because of high round count stages) how "ridiciulous" would it be for someone to carry a shotgun speedloader or two ?

Police in days gone by used speedloaders, those like myself that carry a six gun carry speedloaders but I've met no one that carries a shotgun speedloader. :o

The author compared apples and oranges...

Here's a good issue that he could have used for the speedloader comparision. I have a Vang-comp Remington 870 shotgun that I picked up at the 2003 IRC for winning my division. It is basiclly a police/entry shotgun, and I would love to shoot it in limited division of 3-gun, but since it is ported I have to run it in open division. For all practical matters it is a real everyday shotgun, maybe it could be used in tactical division, but the porting still puts it in open. I personally think that it should be allowed in limited or tactical, and I do shoot it in open division with no speed loaders, the one nice thing is since it is a pump gun, it cycle everytime.

on the issue of speedloaders in revolvers, he must really support IPDA sytle of shooting, which I think they are backwords, and contradictory to what they preach. all the revolers that I have are converted to use moonclips if they did not come that way from the factory. The only gun that I have that would be legal to shoot in IPDA is Model 625-7 in 45 colt, and this is the gun I use for CCW. IPDA says that any gun converted must use the old style speed loaders, which in my case would be HKS speedloaders. This one very big backward step for a group that preaches self-defence with the best technic. you use what is the best equipment when your life comes down to it and speedloaders don't cut it. that's why all my guns use moonclips.

John,

I'm struggling to understand this statement. I had my 5" barrel 625 cut to a 4" when the rules changed, and I still use moon clips with it. Where did you get your information that IDPA states you must use old style speed loaders? I've never heard that one.

JVE

IPDA says that any gun converted must use the old style speed loaders, which in my case would be HKS speedloaders. This one very big backward step for a group that preaches self-defence with the best technic. you use what is the best equipment when your life comes down to it and speedloaders don't cut it. that's why all my guns use moonclips.

Damn Johnny go sit down and have a couple shots of JD. I don't want you to get your blood boiling to the point that you end up in the big revolver match in the sky. Then I can't shoot with you anymore. ;)