Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A3 DQ

fishhunter3

Purely the responsibility of the shooter, but what really is the accountability of the RO in a "hammer down" discharge?

The RO says "if clear, hammer down, and holster". Every RO I've worked with tries hard to catch these mistakes before they happen, but as you said it's the shooters responsibility. In other words, I don't think any RO would allow a shooter to drop the hammer on the live round if they saw it.

The shooter is always responsible for the gun. The RO is never responsible for the gun. That said, ROs will assist competitors who provide the opportunity for help, in verifying that the mag is out of the gun, and that the chamber is empty. Providing the opportunity requires that the shooter not rush through the steps, but rather that the shooter deliberately removes the magazine, racks the slide, then verifies that both mag well and chamber are clear, before presenting the gun to the RO for verification. After getting the next command, I usually glance in the gun again, before closing the slide and dropping the hammer/striker....

Unloading occurs off the clock, but can have a major impact on your match score if rushed....

Really? The "flip and catch" discussion at ULSC again? :rolleyes:

Don't be distracted by the showboating of the flip... watch the show clear and holstering that goes on that is faster than my draw. :lol:

You mean the RO with his quick back away as the gun comes down to holster as he is advancing to check for clear? :surprise:

Its a good video, the flip and catch is not an issue for me. Not waiting for the RO to see clear and not waiting for the "if clear" command is.

If I was the RO I would stop the shooter and ask politly that he show me a clear gun and wait for the "if clear" command.