Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with TWinS SSL Vest Loading

DMAC

I just ordered a vest from Carbon Arms and had very quick shipping to my door in a couple days.

I've watched the video of James, Mark and Matt running this and they just seem to be able to slide those shells in much faster and much more reliably than I can. After one hour of practice, I had one 6 second time, but most were around 10-11 seconds which is about how fast I can do a weak hand reload anyway.

It seems like the shells either want to separate or the second shell doesn't feel all the way and it pops back out. The backside of my pinky finger is sliding along the inside of the receiver and I can't believe I haven't cut it open yet.

It would be great to see some slow motion video to see exactly how the shells are grabbed/held and the hand/fingers are positioned as the shells are fed into the shotgun.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am using the Brownells Dummy rounds and my Salient Benelli.

Thanks!

Damien

Edited by DMAC

What has helped me was advice from Mark........on that lead pinky, once you get the shell in, then extend the pinky over the port instead of leaving the pinky inside the receiver......that closes off the port so that the shells don't pop out and are trapped inside. Then, for me, my other fingers are extended the same way to close off the receiver port, while the thumb of course is behind the 2nd shell and shoves it in. Basically like 'petting' the receiver in one stroke.

After doing that, my loading has gotten smoother and faster.

I'm using the FSL by the way. Check your PM. Good luck!

What has helped me was advice from Mark........on that lead pinky, once you get the shell in, then extend the pinky over the port instead of leaving the pinky inside the receiver......that closes off the port so that the shells don't pop out and are trapped inside. Then, for me, my other fingers are extended the same way to close off the receiver port, while the thumb of course is behind the 2nd shell and shoves it in. Basically like 'petting' the receiver in one stroke.

After doing that, my loading has gotten smoother and faster.

I'm using the FSL by the way. Check your PM. Good luck!

Wow! Thank for the advice and the video link. It looks like the challenges that I have are normal and I have some good new advice to improve my technique and I just need to practice more.

• 3 weeks later...

sent you a PM

I will give it a shot a some video, but I am slow to upload

I just did a short video that may be what you want , give me few minutes to post it up to youtube

I have four shot videos loading on youtube / AlamoShooter page taged with Carbon Arms Twins

Edited by AlamoShooter

I made four short videos trying to go slow , In the video I show the "let the wrist break back" and let the fingers open when the first shell pushes down.

Video # 4 is cruiser speed with the Twins loaded That speed will let you move quick and keep the load smooth.

Show Boat speed still works fine. Cruiser speed lets me pace my feet for the next shooting position, including ducking under or stepping over.

video #2 show the drop to the easy load position for me

The next video is #5 that shows the Cruiser speed , not real smooth but functional for a demo.

The last video #4 shows what happend if you try to stop or interupt the load. = the shells come apart.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Thanks guys, great video Jamie. If any of you get stuck, send us a note and or a video and we will certainly do our best to help you out. Jamie has had his longer than anyone else except James, Adam and I and he certainly rocks it well!

We'll be at Ozark too and can certainly help with any technique issues in person.