Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Railed single Stack

STIGUY

Is it possible to have a railed frame that is single stack legal? Looking to add a .40 caliber to my collection in either a custom build or an off the shelf conversion. Ant thoughts, comments, suggestions are as always greatly appreciated.....

I can and have read the rule book. However, I have seen posts about maximum pistol weight (in ounches) so that is kind of what I am asking. Presumably the extra metal adds weight and thus while legal (rails), it is practically not legal cause the maximum weight limitation is exceeded.

There are plenty that are legal, pretty sure Sevigny's had a rail (it's pictured in Front Sight), it was also a 45. I know I've seen pics of Leatham with a railed SS in the past too. The 40's and 9's are heavier due to heavier barrels than the 45's, so maybe a 40 with a rail would weigh too much?

I'm pretty sure my 40 weighs in around 40 oz, so you'd still have 3 oz to play with, and mine is a caspian frame with a lot of metal under the grips.

It could definitely be done.

you're right about the weight being the issue. I've got a Kimber .45 with a legal length rail frame and it's 39 oz box stock with a GI spring guide. I've also got a SA .45 with a legal length rail, GI style guide rod and it's 42 oz, so there's not much room to mess with if you want regular add-ons like a magwell and FL guide rod. A 40 cal barrel adds some weight too.

Edited by clayman

You can do some things with it to play with the weight. I have a railed non-ramped 45acp with a Techwell grip and magwell (grip is the hollowed out kind) and a GI guide rod. Weighs in at 42.6 oz. If you replace the mainspring housing with an aluminum one you can save wieght that way. My former railed ramped 9mm had to have the techwell grip system and the aluminum MSH and it was still 43.5 due to the added weight in the barrel. Long story not so short, you can play with it but the rail does limit you in the wieght catagory.