Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 versus LnL

With what Dillon charges for their stuff it should come with all the bells and whistles.

Is this new law? In other words, we should outlaw all options on all products?

I run a small manufacturing firm, and most of our products have options and upgrades. Our customers love it that way. I suspect overwhelmingly so do the Dillon customers. To me the premium they charge over their competition is more than justified by their quality... and apparently I am not alone.

Yes, they could have rolled in all the options into their standard packages, but I would argue that I would not like that, as I do not need some of them - namely I never use their strong mount and powder sensors, among others, and with the bullet feeder their bullet tray also becomes unneeded.

You're in manufacturing right? What is the cost difference between the manufacture of the non-roller handle compared to the roller handle? $1.00? $5.00? $10.00? IDK, and neither do you (ok, so I am ASSuming here, maybe you priced it out but I know I have not) but I doubt it's more than a dollar or two per handle. That was the entire point. I am in business myself and I don't ever give stuff away. Neither should Dillon. The only way to answer this for sure is to KNOW exactly what the price point difference is, and how many users actually upgrade. IMHO, if it's under 75% I would not offer it any way besides as an upgrade.It just seems to me that most guys I hear of have the roller handle, or they get it later and love it. So in the end it's all a numbers guess, and we DON'T have the numbers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're in manufacturing right? What is the cost difference between the manufacture of the non-roller handle compared to the roller handle? $1.00? $5.00? $10.00? IDK, and neither do you (ok, so I am ASSuming here, maybe you priced it out but I know I have not) but I doubt it's more than a dollar or two per handle. That was the entire point. I am in business myself and I don't ever give stuff away. Neither should Dillon. The only way to answer this for sure is to KNOW exactly what the price point difference is, and how many users actually upgrade. IMHO, if it's under 75% I would not offer it any way besides as an upgrade.It just seems to me that most guys I hear of have the roller handle, or they get it later and love it. So in the end it's all a numbers guess, and we DON'T have the numbers.

It is not entirely clear if you are indeed answering to me. I never said I knew its cost, although I can come up with a reasonable guess. My objection was to someone else's **guessing** that its cost was so trivial that it should be included in the standard package. THAT should be the manufacturer's decision, based on his cost structure and business model. We either go along with his model, or go elsewhere. It seems like for most customers his way of doing business is just fine. Like many others, I like the ability to chose the options I want, and I know several people who appreciated the ability to add them later, to stretch their SO approval process.