Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tricks about installing Dawson ICE magwell on

sqrlnts

Just purchased a Dawson ICE magwell with the flat MSH, it is coming with a 19lbs mainspring included. Anything I need to know before removing/replacing the factory ILS MSH? Grip fit? Magazine basepad trim?

Thanks in advance.

You might need a different mainspring cup and detent to work with a standard mainspring. The cup on my GI MSH was much longer than a regular one.

My experience with the EMP suggests this as well.

19 lb mainspring is good for .45.

I really like the Dawson magwell. I'm not sure it's faster than the S&A, but it's really cool anyway.

Buddy just put the ICE on his pistol - identical to yours - w/out any issues. He does need to trim down the pads a bit on his CMC Power + mags a hair, but otherwise had no problems with installation. Best of luck on yours!

Did you get the GAP or NO-GAP version? That will also play into how well your mags seat...or don't, for that matter...

Edited by JDHunz

Thanks for the replies. Its a no gap model.

Ok...depending on what mags you are using, you may have to cut the base pad down a bit. The NO-GAP version typically requires that you use the Dawson base pads so the mags will fit up into the magwell. Be advised they are about $10/each. Now, you can solve the problem by ordering the GAP insert for like $20...that's the only difference between the two.

Something to keep in mind before you get it all put together...

I just bought a SA Loaded Target and I replaced the ILS mainspring housing with one I had lying around (it came out of a Metro Arms American Classic II). It went in perfectly. The bottom of the grip safety did just barely rub on the top of the housing, but I shot a steel match last night and that cleared itself up.

I just bought a SA Loaded Target and I replaced the ILS mainspring housing with one I had lying around (it came out of a Metro Arms American Classic II). It went in perfectly. The bottom of the grip safety did just barely rub on the top of the housing, but I shot a steel match last night and that cleared itself up.

Did you have to replace the mainspring cup and detent as mentioned above? Thanks and I plan to trim my basepads to fit the well.

Edited by sqrlnts

Did you have to replace the mainspring cup and detent as mentioned above? Thanks and I plan to trim my basepads to fit the well.

I did when I replaced the ILS MSH/Magwell on my TRP. I just order the MSH rebuild kit from Brownells. Since you already have the spring, it may be cheaper for you just to buy the parts individually though.