Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building a .45

Sgtsvi

I need some help from you guys on building a single stack gun. I have a brand new Colt series 70 slide that is marked colt competition on the side. I also have a colt match barrel. I bought this stuff to put on my Colt ACE .22 a couple of years ago. Because of the value of the ACE, I have decided not to use the .45 top end on it any more. I would like to build a single stack .45 for CDP shooting and single stack challange. What frame should I use. I have two SVI's and thought about one of thier frames to start with. I would also like to use their tri glide trigger if possible. If not an SV frame, who would you go with. I am limited on my gunsmith skills and may utilize one of the smiths in the Dallas area. I just need to know what to buy to get started.

Any help will be appreciated.

You know, building a gun isn't that terribly difficult. I've got a .45 that I built some time ago. Its not the best gun I own, but it isn't the worst either.

I think the thing you have to do is research extensively what you want to do, and what parts you want to use to do it. I was dating a gunsmith's daughter when I built mine, so I had a great reference when things weren't going the way I wanted them to. On the frame - and all parts - a critical component is making sure everything is to spec. If the holes and dimensions are to spec, and the frame is of acceptable quality then you're good. If the frame isn't to spec then I would personally advise you get one that is.

I believe the biggest component is patience. The slide to frame fit is tough, have patience. The barrel fit, is tough - have patience. A good trigger is easy, a great trigger done properly is tough - have patience. The beavertail was the one thing I thought would be tough and turned out not to be bad.

I REALLY enjoyed the experience though. In my opinion - well worth doing. In fact, your e-mail kind of makes me want to start back on a mil-spec I've had in the safe for some time.

JB

In single-stacks, I'm partial to Caspian, that being the frame manufacturer of the one .45 I've built (much like JB's experience, though I used a Kart EZ-Fit barrel to save on fitting effort).

sgtglock, I totally agree with everything posted so far. Caspians are excellent! I just built a real sweetie from a slide I already owned and a stainless frame a friend gave me for doing some work. I'm just waiting on the right time to send the slide away for hard chroming.

Like Jack said, building your own takes patience. Fortunately, the 1911 platform is the "small block Chevy" of handguns. There are many resources you can call upon if you choose to go it alone. Conversely, don't expect you first effort to be stellar, there are many nuances to the fit and function of a 1911.

Avoid the Auto Ordinance/Thompson. They would test the patience of Job. :angry:

Thanks for the answers guys. I can stop by Infinity on the way home from work when I have questions. Len and Sandy are great guys to deal with when you need help. I also would like to get the whole gun hard chromed and bead blasted to a satain finish for durability and looks. I will check on Caspian for frame prices.

Dave

get the kuhnhausen manuals, and some mics, and check the slide out for specs, or have somebody do it for you. i got one of those slides from CDNN awhile back, and it was a POS, probably a factory second, locking lugs rounded off real bad. they replaced it, and the new one was excellent. and it replaced a auto-ordnance slide that i cracked, and it runs like a scalded dog.......... i heard from some other forum that some of those colt competition slides weren't always good, you just gotta spec' em' out to make sure.

sgtlock:

Critically read everything you can on barrel fitting and fire controls in this forum and (with due respect) the 1911forum and respective links. Along with both Kuhnhausen text you'll have a good foundation of knowledge, but more importantly; you'll know what you don't know or don't have the equipment to do.