Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 3-Gun Open Pistol Project - 17C, 31C or 35?

SamG

I'm going to build a new open division pistol for 3 Gun competition and I want to use one of these three guns that I already own: Glock 17C, 31C or 35(all Gen 3) I am planning on shooting 9mm minor with a comp'd barrel (no porting) and a Leupold Deltapoint optic mounted on the slide. My goal is to be able to use a kydex holster and to keep this gun as simple and reliable as possible. I would also like to use this for shooting steel if that makes any difference and may someday want to shoot some major loads. I will also install an aftermarket trigger and related internal parts as well as a magwell.

Which is the best gun to use? The 17C and 31C are just collecting dust in my safe but I have shot 35 a few times in Production and IDPA.

Are you planning on keeping this gun as a compensated open gun, or do you want to be able to switch the barrels?

If you want to keep it as an open gun, I would use the 17C and get an open kit from Jager Products. Cheapest way to get a Glock open gun.

17C. Really the best choice there. Barrel and slide length mean nothing (practically) on an open gun with a red dot. You'll have more holster options with the shorter gun as well. The 31 and 35 will have a .40 breech face. While a lot of guys have used conversion barrels with great success, I have not. I will never try again either. You want to shoot 9, you've got a 9. There you go.

Yes, this will be a dedicated open gun. I didn't know if the 31C or 35 might have been better suited for major 9 loads than the 17C? The more I research this subject it seems shooting a major load may be more beneficial to get better performance from the comp. I see several barrel and comp options from SJC, Lone Wolf, Carver, KKM to name a few. If I go with the 17C and major load which barrel and comp combination would you choose? Also looking for trigger recomendations ZEV, Carver or ?

Don't shoot major unless you have to. Like for USPSA. If it was really beneficial you'd see people shooting it for Steel Challenge. I shoot a 115 gr JHP for three gun at about 125 PF. No reason to go hotter. As far as strength the 17 is just a strong if not stronger than you're other two. Mine was built by SJC and flat out rocks.

As far as the trigger it's a bit difficult to answer. I do my own triggers and they're nothing special. I'd see who at the club has some different ones and try them.

If you're shooting outlaw 3-Gun, Major/Minor is not a consideration under most rules-sets, so you don't have to run a compensator at all. Well-loaded minor 9mm is a joy to shoot. I know some folks that are working up a 95 gr. load to get some good velocity out of their "mouse fart" loads.

I would question the need for a slide mounted optic for most stages. Unless you're looking at tight/far shots, most can shoot irons just as fast, if not faster, unless they are REALLY well-practiced with the dot. Most slide-mounted optics have notoriously small windows and picking up the dot can be a challenge.

I don't know what your classification is with USPSA, but I've seen that most "good" pistol competitors have the requisite skills with the pistol to play 3G without much adjustment. It's the rifle and particularly the shotgun that give most folks fits in the transition. I've done a lot of watching and analyzing these "cross-over" shooters and found that most who are not shooting to their potential (based on USPSA classification) do two things: (a.) Shoot the rifle too slowly, trying to get 2 Alphas when 2 Charlies will neutralize the target, and (b.) reload the shotgun too slowly. I know that this is true for me.

The biggest advantages in Open Division for 3-gun are in big mags for the pistol, speedloader tubes or magazines for the shotgun, and magnifying optics on the rifle. I'd probably concentrate on obtaining these items and working with those instead of altering the pistol much. I think it would be a better return-on-investment.

I would question the need for a slide mounted optic for most stages. Unless you're looking at tight/far shots, most can shoot irons just as fast, if not faster, unless they are REALLY well-practiced with the dot. Most slide-mounted optics have notoriously small windows and picking up the dot can be a challenge.

Two years ago I would have agreed completely about Irons being better for three gun. However the last year or two I'm seeing a lot of 4 inch plates with the handgun at 20-35 yards. 4" at 35 is challenging with a pistol. More so after shooting the other two guns for a minute or two.

I definitely agree with Flex about the mount from SJC, but they don't have one that works with the Delta Point just yet. I've been emailing John and Steave about getting one made. The only downside is holstering the gun. I don't know of any holsters I'd trust for 3 Gun that can be used with the SJC mounts. I had to make my own.

Think about putting that Deltapoint on a saddle mount from SJC...getting it off the slide and keeping it from moving. (It will be easier to see, and still be out of the way of ejecting brass)

I have that setup on my G17, it’s a very nice setup and very reliable with light and major loads.

The only downside is holstering the gun. I don't know of any holsters I'd trust for 3 Gun that can be used with the SJC mounts. I had to make my own.

Please pardon the thread drift (I don't know if this would survive on its own): I was looking at the same problem, even with the 1911/STI/SVI platform. Race holsters, in my opinion, don't offer enough protection from the knocks-and-bangs that a 3G pistol needs.

My mental solution was to do a kydex that was molded a little large to clear the scopemount, but with molded-in indentions that would engage the farthest out comp ports. That way, most of the really hard retention would be at the front end of the gun, very low in the holster. Because the retention is so low in the holster, it shouldn't grab the gun and do the "lower end of the holster swings away from the body and binds the gun on exit" like a too-tight conventional holster will.

Just thoughts....

• 4 weeks later...

Two years ago I would have agreed completely about Irons being better for three gun. However the last year or two I'm seeing a lot of 4 inch plates with the handgun at 20-35 yards. 4" at 35 is challenging with a pistol. More so after shooting the other two guns for a minute or two.

I definitely agree with Flex about the mount from SJC, but they don't have one that works with the Delta Point just yet. I've been emailing John and Steave about getting one made. The only downside is holstering the gun. I don't know of any holsters I'd trust for 3 Gun that can be used with the SJC mounts. I had to make my own.

That is my main reason for wanting to do this build. As my eyes get older I'm having more problems with the more challenging targets for both pistol and rifle. I'm ready to move to open so I can have a bipod and multiple optics on my rifle and a dot sight on my shotgun for those 50+ yard slug shots. Also it seems like 2/3 of the competitors are in tactical optics division and most are 30 years younger and run faster than me!

Edited by SamG