Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vent Ribs; are they really faster

The debate has been had pertaining to ghost rings vs other sights on a shotgun...but I'm interested in what people have to say about whether the Vent Rib w/bead sight is really faster than say, the rifle sights seen on the FN SLP......because of course we see all the Team FNH shooters, Daniel Horner, Keith Garcia, etc, using the rifle sighted barrel...yet at the same time there's the camp that suggests VR with beed is the only way to go.....thought, opinions, bizarre beliefs?

team shooters using the product that the donor wants to push, no great stretch in my imagination. there was a topic a while back of why the shotguns in the 3gun nation shoot off werent production units though...

when i shot a SLP i did like the front sight, usually kept the rear folded down though and just looked through the cantilever mount.

a lot of shooters use what comes with the gun, not because its better, just thats how the gun came to them. the FN team SG that should be used has a vent rib, and is "blue" the other one weighs way too much. I shot a benelli m1 with the 18.5" barrel and small rifle sights when I started and did not notice anything substantial in difference, but it had a fixed choke. so it went away asap, then I went to the same barrel with removeable chokes, what actually made me go with the vent rib barrel was the "old rule" about your mag tube only being 1" longer than your barrel, it hurt me on round capacity so I got a VR 21" and solved that issue. That rule does not exist anymore, so if you are doing OK with your current set up, stick with it, if you feel its holding you back then change.

Josh, if you want to borrow a VR barreled M1 for a few days or so to try out and compare, just call me. You are welcome to borrow it, I have spares. Red Neck Tactical, will friends to borrow and try out.

Trapr

Edited by bigbrowndog

a lot of shooters use what comes with the gun, not because its better, just thats how the gun came to them. the FN team SG that should be used has a vent rib, and is "blue" the other one weighs way too much. I shot a benelli m1 with the 18.5" barrel and small rifle sights when I started and did not notice anything substantial in difference, but it had a fixed choke. so it went away asap, then I went to the same barrel with removeable chokes, what actually made me go with the vent rib barrel was the "old rule" about your mag tube only being 1" longer than your barrel, it hurt me on round capacity so I got a VR 21" and solved that issue. That rule does not exist anymore, so if you are doing OK with your current set up, stick with it, if you feel its holding you back then change.

Josh, if you want to borrow a VR barreled M1 for a few days or so to try out and compare, just call me. You are welcome to borrow it, I have spares. Red Neck Tactical, will friends to borrow and try out.

Trapr

That'd be awesome Trapr. I'll contact you when I get back to TX in a few weeks. Thanks very much

Josh, I have a SLP with the stock barrel and one with a 24 vent rib barrel. I dont know that I shoot better with one over the other but the VR seems to balance better and is lighter. Next time your at BOTW find me and you can check it out.

Shane G.

For most matches, ghost ring vs vent rib may be the same as choc. vs vanilla ice cream. But once you attend a match that features flying targets, your going to be ready to buy a vent rib the following day.

I believe that is also what you get used to. I never had a problem with flying clays with my old M1 Benelli with ghost ring sights, but I missed all three flying clays at Benning with my 24" vent rib Nova. That was the first flying targets I had ever tried to hit with a vent rib shotgun, but it sure didn't make it easy.

Hurley

I have both a Slp with sights and a 26inch vent rib sx2 and i am faster with the 26 vr than th 22 with sights but the 26 is lighter and the pattern is more centered over where i "point" it were as the 22 hits just below were i point it not a big deal most of the time but matters alot with flying clays and smaller targets

So i say its more important that the gun fits you than what sights it has

Josh, I have a SLP with the stock barrel and one with a 24 vent rib barrel. I dont know that I shoot better with one over the other but the VR seems to balance better and is lighter. Next time your at BOTW find me and you can check it out.

Shane G.

Thanks Shane, I'll be at the August match (I hope). I'll see you there.

I used to shoot a 18.5" GRS M1 and I miracled my way into trading for a vent rib M1. I can't say a vent ribbed M1 is faster than GRS but I'm definitely faster with the switch.

I believe that is also what you get used to. I never had a problem with flying clays with my old M1 Benelli with ghost ring sights, but I missed all three flying clays at Benning with my 24" vent rib Nova. That was the first flying targets I had ever tried to hit with a vent rib shotgun, but it sure didn't make it easy.

Hurley

My reference to flying targets are just that. If I recall correctly the ones at Benning were floppers that jumped up off of a popper. The flyers launch from a sporting clays or skeet thrower like what we experienced at Pan Am.

For any flyer with a bead it is important to have a cheek weld with the stock. We all get used to shooting static targets without this but to be consistent on those that fly, it is necessary.