Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VTAC Ext Battlerail + JP Low Pro Adjustable = bad idea?

sandman_sy

I recently decided to assemble my long cabinet queen Sabre Defense fluted 18" with middy gas, with a VTAC Extreme Battlerail 11" ..

I got a call from my gunsmith buddy a couple of nights ago. He told me he cant turn the trx to lock or something.. nyone running this setup?? maybe some tips and tricks of some sort. I really want to use the Extreme Battlerail coz of its weight and using a Ace Buttstock, Fluted Barrel, lightened JP bolt, it will make my Open Div Rifle a very light unit :)

As always, thanx a lot for the replies :)

Edited by sandman_sy

I recently decided to assemble my long cabinet queen Sabre Defense fluted 18" with middy gas, with a VTAC Extreme Battlerail 11" ..

I got a call from my gunsmith buddy a couple of nights ago. He told me he cant turn the trx to lock or something.. nyone running this setup?? maybe some tips and tricks of some sort. I really want to use the Extreme Battlerail coz of its weight and using a Ace Buttstock, Fluted Barrel, lightened JP bolt, it will make my Open Div Rifle a very light unit :)

As always, thanx a lot for the replies :)

Have a similar problem. I have a Troy Extrem TRX 13 inch and have a hard time finding an adjustable gas block that fits under it. As Troy gasblocks at least the ones I know are not adjustable and are ITAR I have to look somewhere else.

Found a German company that is doint a front adjustable one and they will check on their CAD data if it would fit. If not and if I cannot find something else I will go for a not adjustable one but with an adjustable gastube. The Hera gasblock should fit under but it is not adjustable and not sure if you get it in the US as ist from Germany.

Other ones might fit but I heard that when shooting the rail could thouch them defeating the free float idea

On my 16" LR-308 I'm running the JP low profile adj gas block with their 15" handguard. I was thinking the VTAC=JP but maybe not. Anyway it works great. Keep in mind that the handguard maybe acentric, at least for my application it was.

If the TRX won't work, try the Samson Evolution. It's 1.6" wide inside and 1.8" tall. It doesn't have to turn to lock, just slides down on the supplied bushing that snaps over a standard barrel nut.

http://www.samson-mfg.com/

Here's my 18" Sabre barrel w/ the Samson Evo rail. I used a PRI non-adjustable gas block.

397694432.jpg

Edited by Bryan 45

do not attach the gas block before placing the fore end,..........place it after, you will only have to drill 2 small holes to tighten the gas block afterwards, I've done it to my Troy-vtac and it works just fine, plus you lighten the fore end some more by drilling the holes :devil:

Trapr

the PRI adjustable low profile (.750") gas block will fit under a troy trx 13" on a mid-lenght AR-stoner 18" barrel without modification. You will have to drill a hole to adjust the gas, or just take off the tube (what I do).

PT

Mill a ball end mill groove along the top left side of the gas block where it interferes with the FFT and it will turn into place no problem.

If I get time I will post a pic.

the PRI adjustable low profile (.750") gas block will fit under a troy trx 13" on a mid-lenght AR-stoner 18" barrel without modification. You will have to drill a hole to adjust the gas, or just take off the tube (what I do).

PT

This is indeed the case. However, if you want to put a rail segment on the bottom up front, you will not clear the gas block due to the backing piece you screw into to secure the rail. You can however cut that and clear a mid length just fine. Also, even when you get it on the clearance between the protuberance that the gas adjustment screw is set in and the wall of the tube is VERY minimal. You can deflect the tube enough to make contact with it.

PT

This is indeed the case. However, if you want to put a rail segment on the bottom up front, you will not clear the gas block due to the backing piece you screw into to secure the rail. You can however cut that and clear a mid length just fine. Also, even when you get it on the clearance between the protuberance that the gas adjustment screw is set in and the wall of the tube is VERY minimal. You can deflect the tube enough to make contact with it.

I've got rail sections at 3 & 9 by my gas block, they fit without touching when the tube is installed. Its pretty tight, but they fit. There is some contact on the adjustment side when rotating the tube to take it off, but that doesn't bug me too much. I'm going to try and use the rail segments as poor-man's K9 barricade supports, we'll see how that works out.

PT