Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 712 Utility

sqrlnts

Couple of quick searches online tell me that there is nothing offered for direct bolt on replacements for the factory stock piece. Anyone tried fitting something designed for another manufacturer?

ugggghhhhh leave it to my government to ruin my next 3 gun shotgun plan!!! I started to read the compliance law but its late. I don't understand the difference between adapting a Benelli magazine extension to the gun and fitting a (hell for the sake of keeping it simple) Benelli tactical pistol grip butt stock? Maybe both are illegal? Something tells me that I need to talk to a Saiga nut.

Thanks for the point in the right direction.

This is the only aftermarket stock I have found. It probably isn't what you were looking for but maybe just the adapter(sold separately) would help with a conversion. .....and not to be a smartass but what issues are you having with the stock stock? If you are wanting a pistol grip on there it probably won't "work" but you could try getting one of the Benelli Vinci stocks which feels kinda like a pistol grip and modding it to work. Plus, then you would have the Comfortech recoil reduction.

and not to be a smartass but what issues are you having with the stock stock?

No issues with the stock stock, hell I have not even taken posession of it! I just like the look of a "evil" pistol grip. If I could get the same grip you have on your Benelli I would be happy.

What exactly is 922r. Why could you put a pistol grip on a M1 or M2. Isn't that the same thing.

Schulzt

922r is a federal law that defines which features are permitted on imported guns. It is illegal to import a shotgun (or so modify an imported shotgun) as follows:

(d) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds, and

(4) An ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Thus, an imported shotgun like the CZ 712 is OK with EITHER a pistol grip OR a magazine capacity greater than 5 rounds, but if it has both then it is prohibited. The only way to legally modify such an imported shotgun is to add sufficient US-made parts that it is no longer regarded as an imported gun.

This does not need to make sense - it's just federal law.

As for the Benelli M1 or M2 shotguns you have seen with pistol grip and long magazines, they were either imported before 1989 (M1 only, of course), or the requisite number of US parts have been installed, or the gun is not in compliance (the law is so stupid that a lot of folks probably do not realize they are breaking the law).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I think it can't contain more than 10 imported parts. How many parts are in a cz?

If I understand this correctly it should only be this list of parts.

Paragraph © defines the following parts as "countable" under the law:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings *

(2) Barrels *

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions) *

(5) Muzzle attachments *

(6) Bolts *

(7) Bolt carriers *

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons *

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers *

(12) Hammers *

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors *

(15) Buttstocks *

(16) Pistol grips *

(17) Forearms, handguards *

(18) Magazine bodies *

(19) Followers *

(20) Floorplates *

These 20 items are referred to with the term "compliance parts". There are lots of other components that go into a weapon, but there are the only ones that count in terms of complying with the law.

So its my understanding that you would need 10 of the parts listed above to be made in the U.S.

Not gonna happen.

Edited by sqrlnts

• 3 months later...

I think it can't contain more than 10 imported parts. How many parts are in a cz?

If I understand this correctly it should only be this list of parts.

Paragraph © defines the following parts as "countable" under the law:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings *

(2) Barrels *

(3) Barrel extensions

(4) Mounting blocks (trunions) *

(5) Muzzle attachments *

(6) Bolts *

(7) Bolt carriers *

(8) Operating rods

(9) Gas pistons *

(10) Trigger housings

(11) Triggers *

(12) Hammers *

(13) Sears

(14) Disconnectors *

(15) Buttstocks *

(16) Pistol grips *

(17) Forearms, handguards *

(18) Magazine bodies *

(19) Followers *

(20) Floorplates *

These 20 items are referred to with the term "compliance parts". There are lots of other components that go into a weapon, but there are the only ones that count in terms of complying with the law.

So its my understanding that you would need 10 of the parts listed above to be made in the U.S.

Not gonna happen.

The CZ won't have all of those 20 parts cause it sure doesn't have a floorplate.

Edited by glazer1972