Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FO front sight on Match

e-mishka

Trying to figure out which FO front sites to get.

Not sure about what height/width dimensions do I need to work with factory adj rear sight on 2011 production Match 9mm.

Dawson's are $40 and Hennings are $70, whats the advantage that worth extra $30?

1. Hennins

2. Dawson

dawson has 3 sizes

a) .215 tall x .095 wide

B) .160 tall x .100 wide

c) .160 tall x .135 wide

hennings

a) .140 tall x .095 wide

what size would you recommend?

Edited by e-mishka

Whatever you do, don't go with the .215 tall because the newer Matches have the silly Novak style rear sights and you'll need to be on the last click or two at max height to use the old Henning .180 tall ones. I doubt that you can crank the rear sight high enough to compensate for a .215 tall front sight.

Henning made that batch of .140 tall specifically for the new Matches because of this issue. I think that if you go with the Dawson .160, you'll be okay and not be at the last couple clicks of the rear sight.

Choosing really depends on how much light do you want on on the sides of the front sight? If you want more, go for the thinner sights, if you want less go for the fatter sights.

I don't know what the fiber diameter is on Dawson's but the diameter on the Hennings are smaller compared to factory. That provides enough light to be eye catching (which is the point of the fiber optic), but not so bright that they cause a light bloom and distort the edges of the top of the front sight.

As a side note, the factory sights are .125 wide if I remember correctly, so that may factor into your choices for widths.

Edited by Skydiver

Whatever you do, don't go with the .215 tall because the newer Matches have the silly Novak style rear sights and you'll need to be on the last click or two at max height to use the old Henning .180 tall ones. I doubt that you can crank the rear sight high enough to compensate for a .215 tall front sight.

Henning made that batch of .140 tall specifically for the new Matches because of this issue. I think that if you go with the Dawson .160, you'll be okay and not be at the last couple clicks of the rear sight.

Choosing really depends on how much light do you want on on the sides of the front sight? If you want more, go for the thinner sights, if you want less go for the fatter sights.

I don't know what the fiber diameter is on Dawson's but the diameter on the Hennings are smaller compared to factory. That provides enough light to be eye catching (which is the point of the fiber optic), but not so bright that they cause a light bloom and distort the edges of the top of the front sight.

As a side note, the factory sights are .125 wide if I remember correctly, so that may factor into your choices for widths.

Thanks for very good reply, i'll get my new pistol next week and 'll try it with iron sights first and then order FO.

I'll call dawson and see what size they recommend as well.

Yeah .215 isn't going to work on the match unless you like shooting 12" low... ;)

I didn't even know Dawson was making sights for these or I would have probably got one for my Match instead of blowing the $70 for Hennings (plus I would have only been out $40 when my first sight blew off my 10mm).

changed out the factory sight on my limited to a .160x.100 dawson fo. now kinda wish i spent the extra $30 for the henning. i would have thought that the .100 width would have made a big difference, but has not for me. sometimes i swear that there was no change at all to my sight picture.for myself, i would like to try a .090 front. best i can measure, the fo rod on the dawson front goes .040. vic

Slight threadjack: I've gotten the Henning FO sight for my Match (10mm if that makes any difference), but I am having a devil of a time getting the factory-installed front sight out. I've seen the nice instructional page on Henning's site, but I cannot get the darn thing to budge. And, yes, I removed the set screw. I've gone at it with nylon- and rubber-headed mallets; those just got chewed up. I've tried using a wooden dowel as a punch/transfer; the sight just splintered the dowel. I tried using a blunted nail as a punch/transfer; the front sight got dinged, but didn't move. I tried loading the whole thing in a vise; I put as much pressure on as I could before getting scared of damaging the slide. I tried using a heat gun to see if either some differential metal expansion or breaking some epoxy would make a difference; I only burned my fingers (not really, but it did get quite warm to the touch). Anybody got any suggestions? Do I need to take a butane torch to it to break some high-temp epoxy? I mean, God forbid I just break down and take it to a competent gunsmith...

Thanks, Nealio. Sounds like it may just be a manufacturing tolerance thing. Get a sight at the high end of the size tolerance range, and a slide with the cut at the low end of the range, and you get a friction fit that would resist an ox.

• 1 month later...

just to revive this topic a bit,

so , in regards to elevation screw, does dawson's .160 tall by .100 wide works good with factory LPA style adj sights on match?

i just want to make sure that it has enough room to increase elevation on that reat sight if needed.

As for .100 wide dawson's vs .90 henings, not sure if i need .90. I actually like factory iron sight thikness, but want to put FO b/c its easier to focus on for me.

.160" seems pretty tall, but I think it would work. Its interesting that Dawson made them this tall. When I had the Henning .180" sight on my Match it was too tall. Maybe .020" lower is within reason. Now with the Henning .140" front sight I feel like rear LPA isn't overly extended.