Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What thickness FO to run?

My Pro9 was shooting 1.5 to 2" low at 25yds so I got a Dawson .160X.115 and love it.

The .115 will allow you to pick up the sight a little quicker for faster shooting. The .125 will be a little more accurate.

I shoot faster and more accurately with a narrower front sight. How wide is the rear notch? I prefer a .125" rear and .090" front. Match that .035" difference on whichever rear sight you have and I think you'll be happy.

Some prefer a little less difference, more like .025". I find that more light helps me see better.

I wouldn't believe anyone who says .125 is more accurate. I shot my gun for years with a .125" sight front and rear and it was definitely slower and no more accurate. Without the light bars on either side of the sight, it's really hard to use sights effectively.

Edited by twodownzero

That's a good question, with a dawson adjustable it's listed at .125 notch. Me personally I like a front sight that was only slightly (visibly)narrower than the rear notch to allow just a fine line of daylight between the sights. I measured my stock sights and the rear notch is around .140 with the front at .130. For me, going with an even smaller front without changing the rear notch width would leave too much space between the sights when aligned for my particular taste. A lot of guns with a longer sight radius actually have a larger width front sight than the rear notch.

Besides being personal preference the best case would be to look at someone elses gun to see which look better for you.