Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

converting the safety to decocker only?

triplesinglestack

I understand that I can convert the safetys on my beretta 92fs so that they are decocker only, and spring loaded so not a safety? how do I do this and where do I get the parts?

thanks

BTW I searched all 3 pages in the beretta sub topic :)

I researched this about a year ago and the 92G (decock only) uses a slightly different slide than the 92F (decock / safety). My conclusion was there is no simple parts swap to make a 92F into a 92G.

You can purchase used 92G's from time to time from CDNN and a few other places for $300-$400. Likewise if you contact Beretta they have G decocker kits for various models of their guns. I've got a decocker only kit from Beretta in my 90-two but my 92G is my favorite pistol to shoot.

Edited by MiniUzi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes, there is a guy at the Beretta Forum that has had mixed luck with the conversion. Buying a new upper is the way to go

Apparently, Allegehney Gun Works has a way to mill the slide to convert an FS model to G.

Waiting to hear back if it actually works.

Not easy to do.

The FS decocking lever is easier to manipulate any way.

With an FS/M9, if you carry on fire, every once in a while you reach down and it is on safe.

If you carry on safe, every once in a while you reach down and it is on fire.

But Loading and making ready no issue to flip it back to fire and know it will be that way when you draw.

Once in a while a RO will get bent that you leave on fire, but I have never seen that last more than one shooter/one stage after being corrected. (but, only been to half a dozen matches, only one real USPSA)

Not easy to do.

Understood, which is why a company has devised an expensive (~$180!) milling operation that does it.

The FS decocking lever is easier to manipulate any way.

The G-Lever only gets manipulated to decock, hence, It isn't really "manipulatable"; ergo, there really isn't any manipulation done to it.

I am not trying to troll you, but am I missing something?

Apparently, the real issue with the FS lever is that during manipulation, some folks manage to put the gun back into "safe"...

It is easier to push the FS lever to decock than the G lever.

For some, they find the G lever hard to push.

The advantages to a G are it always stays on fire and won't get bumped to safe,

it cannot be pushed into safe while clearing a MF or something. Neither have been an issue to me at the range, but might be to some.

Tha advantages to an FS are it is easier to decock (junior shooter, woman, small hands man) that might be an issue that applies to some. For example, my wife hates how hard the G is to decock compared to an FS. And, if you carry on safe, a bad guy that grabs your weapon may be too dumb to put it on fire and save your life. I don't think that will be an issue at the range either.

Your response is not taken as trolling.

Just trying to specify that for some shooters, decocking with a G is considered harder than an FS.

Apparently, Allegehney Gun Works has a way to mill the slide to convert an FS model to G.

Waiting to hear back if it actually works.

Only been < 1yr since shooting berettas, and that's new on me. cool. I always thought it wouldn't be hard to do, just need the right equipment (which I don't have access to).

Just remember that would NOT be production legal since you are disabling a safety. You still need a G slide to shoot production. Same end result; one method is legal and the other is not.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Just remember that would NOT be production legal since you are disabling a safety. You still need a G slide to shoot production. Same end result; one method is legal and the other is not.

That is correct.