Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a short barrel 44 Mag

dvc4you

Hi,

I have owned a long list of semiautomatic pistols but never a revolver :blush: so I need some advice before I spend my money ;)

Intended use: I am looking for a gun that I can conceal while hiking (bear protection, etc.) so I am thinking a double action 4" barrel in 44 magnum.

What model / brand would you recommend?

What holster?

Being a cheapstake, I intend to buy it used. :P

How do you check an used reveolver for function / timing / etc.?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by dvc4you

My suggestion for a revolver with the purpose that you advise in .44 Mag. is a Ruger Alaskan. I have a Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull /.45 Colt that I use for competition (loaded with .45 Colt) and also have for hiking (loaded with .454 Casull). The Alaskan was designed for hiking in areas with possible unwanted predator contact.

I have a Blade Tech holster for it when used in competition, and a Galco leather holster for it when carying it hiking. The revolver in my avatar is a model of the Ruger Alaskan in .454 Casull/.45 Colt that I use.

Edited by Blueridge

I find the Taurus Tracker in .44 is a lot easier to carry and to shoot. I have an Alaskan in .454, and a N-frame 4" in .44, and...well, I like .44's but the Taurus is the cheapest, lightest, (oddly enough) the most comfortable to shoot with full power loads (but only holds five). Of course, the Smith isn't ported and the Ruger is a 4"5" magnum not a 4"4" magnum, but hey, experience is subjective anyway :)

Alex

Size has very little to do with recoil control. Watching a 4' 70 pounder wacking bowling pins with boring regularity using my big 454 taught me that, years ago while running a "fun day" at the range :)

Alex

Thanks for the replies.

I have been looking at the Alaskan and I really like it! I will stick with 44 mag, my wife needs to be able to shoot it an she is only 5 feet tall.

i am 6'2 225lb. I shot a 6" 44 Mag S&W with wood grips at the range using full power Mag Tech factory ammo. I quit after one cylinder. Call me a sissy but damn that thing is a beast.

I did shoot a guys Taurus Tracker with rubber grips with full power ammo and that was not a problem for me.

Cool thing about the 44 mag is you can run it 44 special for practice if the recoil from the 44 mag is "uncomfortable".

Cool thing about the 44 mag is you can run it 44 special for practice if the recoil from the 44 mag is "uncomfortable".

I understand the 44 spl option but since I reload, I will stick with only one kind of brass. I have enough "plastic nuts containers" with .45, .40, .38super, 9 and .380 :roflol:

Even given the reccomendations given I still believe that the Ruger Alaskan in .44 is the best option of the suggested revolvers. Lighter is good for the purpose of carrying on the hip, but the lighter the revolver the more the felt recoil is.

Just my observation.

Even given the reccomendations given I still believe that the Ruger Alaskan in .44 is the best option of the suggested revolvers. Lighter is good for the purpose of carrying on the hip, but the lighter the revolver the more the felt recoil is.

Just my observation.

Thanks, I agree, when comparing the 629 in 4" against the Alaskan, the Alaskan is heavier even with a shorter barrel, in addition I love the looks, if only the would do the flat cilinder in 44 Mag....

I think that is the gun I want, I will keep my eyes open around the local shops...

Any recommendations about a trigger job? I heard about a Wolf "spring package" for it.

For a gun that you want to defend yourself with against ..whatever... the weight will come into play a hell of a lot more in terms of carrying for untold miles with it never being shot rather than how much the weight dampens recoil. I have never had a grizzly bear attack me but I will bet that if it happens and IF you get your pea shooter out of the holster you will damn sure not recall the recoil of the gun if you survive the encounter.

As to the trigger job......I have a 4" 629 and after shooting a few rounds through it a trigger job is the last thing I am thinking of worrying about.

The old joke.

Why do you want to pull the front sight off of your "bear protection" revolver?

So it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your butt.

biggrin.gif

I have an Alaskan, and a 329NG, er and a 4" 500... - A 329 PD, the airweight 44 is a good choice, but I think the NG might be better. Its small enough to pocket carry in many hunting pants/vests/etc.

If you are going to deal w. the size, and weight, of an all steel 44, I'd suggest going to a 4" 500. Its not that much more weight, or size, it has an OK trigger, and w. light magnum loads, it has a relatively light recoil, but better ballistics than a full-power 44.

The Alaskan is OK in 45 Colt, but I wouldn't carry a 454 casull in a situation where you might want to fire it w.o. plugs/muffs. It puts out a tremendous amount of blast.

For a gun that you want to defend yourself with against ..whatever... the weight will come into play a hell of a lot more in terms of carrying for untold miles with it never being shot rather than how much the weight dampens recoil. I have never had a grizzly bear attack me but I will bet that if it happens and IF you get your pea shooter out of the holster you will damn sure not recall the recoil of the gun if you survive the encounter.

As to the trigger job......I have a 4" 629 and after shooting a few rounds through it a trigger job is the last thing I am thinking of worrying about.

The old joke.

Why do you want to pull the front sight off of your "bear protection" revolver?

So it won't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up your butt.

biggrin.gif

Agree, but I still want a gun that is comfortable to shoot so I can become proficient with it...for that reason I have discarded anything over .44 mag

Ive shot the ported lightweight tracker, not so bad and way easier to pack. Find an old school tankers model holster for it. be way better than on the hip, secure and out of the way.

You said your an auto shooter what do you own now ? You thought about a 460 roland kit on one of your 45's ? Corbon has SD and better for you big game penetrator loads, 45 cal 230 gr at 1250 fps, aint quite a 44 but isnt nothing to sneeze at either. looks like they are available for XD's, M&P's and 1911's. but I still like the taurus.

Ive shot the ported lightweight tracker, not so bad and way easier to pack. Find an old school tankers model holster for it. be way better than on the hip, secure and out of the way.

You said your an auto shooter what do you own now ? You thought about a 460 roland kit on one of your 45's ? Corbon has SD and better for you big game penetrator loads, 45 cal 230 gr at 1250 fps, aint quite a 44 but isnt nothing to sneeze at either. looks like they are available for XD's, M&P's and 1911's. but I still like the taurus.

Conversion is not an option, the only 45 that I have is highly customized commander that I don't want to touch, I also have an SVI in .40 (USPSA dedicated), an STI in .38 super (IDPA gun), a CZ RAMI in .40, an STI VIP in .40 and Keltec P3-AT in .380.

I am ok with buying a dedicated gun for the purpose, but it is not something that is going to be carried a lot, so I am not worried about the weight, with a good holster it just adds to the workout.

The fact that I don't own any revolver adds to the equation.

I might have a different take on the question. You said you would carry alot but not shoot alot. That said, dedicated task is more important than continued or multi use. Your use is mainly hiking, although you say weight is not important, I think if your on the 10th mile of a 20 miler, you would certainly think differently, especially if you don't plan on a shoulder or pack holster. Those issues alone would lead in the direction of a light weight frame like the Smith and Wesson 329PD in the .44 mag. I agree there are better Bear guns (.454, .460, .500) but the lighter weight of the alloy frame with a dedicated task that won't wear your hand out from repeated shooting would be more appreciated at the end of the trek. The 329 also gives flexability in barrel lengths, your prference there, I would torn between 4" - 6". I also would go with shoulder holster for hiking, get the weight off your hips.