Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV hybrid barrel?

818-DVC

building a new open gun. Since this is a 1911 technical, I hope it belongs here, regardless of being for open or not. I want to

use a hybrid barrel, but the only company to get them from is SV and they are about $60-75 more than a schumann. Do I proverbally bite the bullet and pay more for the SV, or do I just go Kart, nowlin, KKM, Barsto bull, and forget about reduction of reciprocating mass, drill some popple holes and be done with it? was also thinking of running a trubor 2 from Brazos. I really wanted a Ti comp and a hybrid-comp barrel. Am I making too big a hassle out of it? Please, someone sell me off a ribbed barrel!

JL

Edited by 818-DVC

I just built an open gun in 9mm major using the trubor barrel with Brazos cuts. Im real happy with the results. Shoots flat and is real accurate. My SV has one of there new barrels and so far Im happy with it as well. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the popular brand named barrels as long as they are fit correctly.

Good luck with your open gun build. :cheers:

I had a schuemann hybrid crack(hairline) on a sight-tracker. I also saw a SV hybrid blow up on a 9mm open gun this weekend. Cracked right down both sides and locked the gun up. The gun saw shot by a SVI team shooter who said it was one of the first barrels SV made when they started to make there own.

I would avoid the hybrids for a while they still have some kinks to work out.

It's near impossible to find the scheumann I want. I don't usually shop at SS because their prices are much higher than shooters connection, and I used to live less than 20 miles away. shooters conection discounts benos members on select stuff. I saved almost $300 on parts ordering from sc than from SS.. I will check their site. I don't mind paying for a schuemann if they have em. thanks John. why the Ti comp and not steel? I have seen a few cracked IMM style ti comps. thinking I might go steel this round. I have to talk to brandon and see what he says too.

JL

Call Renee he might have it an its not on the site. He has always done me right.... I almost bought one of each the ti and steel. Since I'm using heavy barrels I wanted to save a little weight off the end. Will be my first time using a ti comp so will see how it turns out.

I was talking with Brandon and he said all of their ribbed guns are going with the full length ribs from now on. He said it makes a stronger barrel and gives you a lighter slide right from the start.

Rich