Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Advice - Shooting USPSA L10 with a 1911

lmt4me

I started off single stack division shooting a 9mm Springfield Armory 1911 and am a mid C. I chose 9mm because I had one and liked the idea of having a 10 rnd mag against 8 rnd. I recently added a 45 to the herd (got it for next to nothing) and I've been toying with idea of shooting L10 with by Kimber Custom II 1911 using 10 rnd mags. Any feedback as to competitiveness? The reason I'm thinking of L10 vs SS is there are only a few SS shooters and I'd like to go to the nationals next year and shoot L10. In addition the SS shooters around here are all top notch and I'm tired of getting my a** kicked. What mods would you suggest? I'm thinking trigger, springs and maybe new sights but I do like the fixed ones as far as accuracy. Also whats the best mag - I see Tripp is highly recommended.

Thanks

Edited by lmt4me

In addition the SS shooters around here are all top notch and I'm tired of getting my a** kicked.

You're only getting an a** kicking if the other SSD shooters are also shooting C class.... :lol:

What mods would you suggest? I'm thinking trigger, springs and maybe new sights but I do like the fixed ones as far as accuracy. Also whats the best mag - I see Tripp is highly recommended.

My SSD gun has a FO front sight and Bo-Mars, a nice 2.5lb. trigger, Ed Brown ambi thumb safety and grip safety and a new Dawson magwell. Beyond those items,

I could use the same gun for L10 with 10 rnd mags. I think I have a bunch of Chip McCormick 10 rounders in a drawer somewhere...

I started out shooting an S&W 645 which is a double action 45 with 8 rd mags.

Since this was the gun I carried at that time, I chose L10 division.

I could have shot production with it but who shoots a .45 in production?

Anyway, I upgraded to a .45 1911 and continued to shoot L10 with 10 round mags.

There was no single stack division at that time.

IIRC the magazines were Wilson Combat.

If you are going to shoot a 1911 in any division, the one mod I couldn't live without is a fiber optic front sight.

The next thing on the list would be a magazine well.

When you start shooting the 45 in single stack (notice I said when, not if ) sell the 10 round mags and invest in a set of Cobra mags.

Its money well spent.

Other upgrades can follow as time and money permit.wink.gif

Tls

Edited by 38superman

i shoot limited 10 with my singlestack quite regularly. I shoot chip 10 round mags. All that ive done to my gun is a 14# recoil spring, a 17# mainspring, a dawson ice singlestack magwell, and new sights. All you really neeed is a reliable singlestack. When money permits get a magwell, and your pretty much good to go.

I shot L10 for the first year and a half I shot this sport..

I shot area2 nationals and many level 2 matches, and went from unclassified to A class.

If your going to shoot L10, keep in mind that allot of the guys shooting L10 are using wide body S_I, which are MUCH faster to load... I think this alone puts a ss gun at a big disadvantage.

outside of nationals there are not many gm's shooting L10, and the turn out is usually pretty sad..

Now after realizing what a lame duck division L10 is, I started shooting single stack, which might not seem much different but there are two matches that make it worth the time.

The western states single stack championship, and the single stack nationals are two great matches dedicated to ss shooters..

Here In so cal the few months right before the wsssc are very interesting. Sence every one shoots single stack in preparation for the match :)

Anyway after shooting L10 and putting allot of time and energy into it I felt really let down by the division..

Anyway to sum it up what I learned from shooting L10 was..

If your going to shoot L10 shoot with a wide body, if your going to get a wide body shoot it in limited :)

Cheers,

Los

Edited by carlosa

I shoot L10 with a SS Trojan 40. I started this journey at the end of 09 beginning of 2010. I only shoot L10 and have just became a B class shooter with it. I have done well enough with it. I shot several Level 2 matches and have done well there. I'm actually having a SS gun being built with both a 5"and a 6" slide for it and do not have any plans in changing division's. As far as 1911 VS 2011 mag changes if you practice that will not be a factor. I know of a couple of people that have shot L10 with a skinny gun won and have GM next to there name. Mods done are Dawson FO front, Techwell grips and magwell, 12.5lbs recoil spring, trigger job and Tripp mags with Dawson alum bases.

Edited by TCKev

I shoot L10 with a SS Trojan 40. I started this journey at the end of 09 beginning of 2010. I only shoot L10 and have just became a B class shooter with it. I have done well enough with it. I shot several Level 2 matches and have done well there. I'm actually having a SS gun being built with both a 5"and a 6" slide for it and do not have any plans in changing division's. As far as 1911 VS 2011 mag changes if you practice that will not be a factor. I know of a couple of people that have shot L10 with a skinny gun won and have GM next to there name. Mods done are Dawson FO front, Techwell grips and magwell, 12.5lbs recoil spring, trigger job and Tripp mags with Dawson alum bases.

L10 gm's? Would you care to post some level 2 and 3 matches, other than nationals where a classified gm shot L10? So far I have seen 0 this year.

Do you mind if I ask why did you choose to build a 6' ss for l10? Seems a wide body would give your more options, cost about the same?

Edited by carlosa

L10 gm's? Would you care to post some level 2 and 3 matches, other than nationals where a classified gm shot L10? So far I have seen 0 this year.

Do you mind if I ask why did you choose to build a 6' ss for l10? Seems a wide body would give your more options, cost about the same?

Never mentioned GM's shooting L2 or L3 matches. I know that Robbie shot a SS and took 3rd and Corey Estill shoots L10 with a SS, I'm just saying that there are top shooters out there that shoot L10 with a skinny gun. I was commenting on L2 matches that I have shot, I don't feel handicapped with it. As far as the 6" slide when I first got into this game a friend let me shoot a 2011 and for some reason just didn't like it I much prefer the 1911 platform so I figured while having the 5" done why not have the 6" built to go with it.

Never mentioned GM's shooting L2 or L3 matches. I know that Robbie shot a SS and took 3rd and Corey Estill shoots L10 with a SS, I'm just saying that there are top shooters out there that shoot L10 with a skinny gun. I was commenting on L2 matches that I have shot, I don't feel handicapped with it. As far as the 6" slide when I first got into this game a friend let me shoot a 2011 and for some reason just didn't like it I much prefer the 1911 platform so I figured while having the 5" done why not have the 6" built to go with it.

Right on Dood what works for you works for you no question. As for Robie, he shoots a hicap Springfield frame in L10 and limited, at least he shot that at last years L10 nationals.

Are you sure Corey shoots a skinny gun in L10, he seems to shoot revo and single stack divisions mostly..

By the way, I'm not bagging on skinny guns, I love them!

I just won't shoot it in L10 (then agein I probably will never shoot l10 agein), my experience has been that the skinny gun is much more fun to shoot in the single stack division.

I'm not sure why people hate 8 round mags so much :)

As far as reloads go, it does take more focus to load a single stack... Which means less focus looking for the next alpha.. Anyway that's my experience might not apply to you or the op... I just figure I share it.

peace :)

^^There's that answer^^Carlos didn't think you were bagging on skinny guns. I know Robbie(I know he's TGO) has won L10 Nats with a 6"SS gun, I think the one on his site under Gunvault is a 6" 45. A couple of issue's ago Front Sight mag had him taking 3rd at a big match with a chopped up 6" gun there was a pic of it also.

Edited by TCKev

^^There's that answer^^Carlos didn't think you were bagging on skinny guns. I know Robbie(I know he's TGO) has won L10 Nats with a 6"SS gun, I think the one on his site under Gunvault is a 6" 45. A couple of issue's ago Front Sight mag had him taking 3rd at a big match with a chopped up 6" gun there was a pic of it also.

I'll be damn.. tgo shot a single stack in 2009 nationals...

i got schooled today :)

http://robleatham.com/blog/?p=541

Maybe you'd do better in SS if you were shooing major. Keep track of your scores (Charlies and Deltas) and see if that is hurting you a lot.

In some places, the problem with L10 is there are fewer participants. If you want to win your division/class, but have only two other people to shoot against, I guess that's OK.

I shot L10 for years with a 45 and a bunch of Chip McCormick magazines. Made B-Class.

Anyway, not to sound preachy or anything, but as long as the gun runs, keep shooting. Doesn't much matter what division or which gun. I guarantee you can make B-class with the 9mm in SS, or a 45 in SS, or a 45 in L10. Why? Once the gun is reliable, it's more about you than it.

I shot a 6" .40 SS at last years L10 nationals. If I were doing it again with a .45, which I have many, many times, I wouldn't even consider not using the wilson 10 round mags! The long slide is just because I have this love of long sight radius, or maybe it's compensating for something? If you get the gun setup like the post earlier about the springs and mag well and assorted stuff, you can easily be competitive in L10. But I would keep the gun legal for SS division, as it makes it much more versatile. and most folks like the lighter snappier slide of the 5" guns. Now if I worked for a gun company with an outstanding Custom Shop, and didn't have to pay for it, I might get a gun like mine!!! Otherwise, mine would be SS legal, with big mags and all the weight I could hang on it.

Minor is a rough row to hough in L10. In SS it has some advantages.

Rob

Thanks for all the advice. Today I took the 9mm and 45 out for a head to head on steel plate rack at 15 yrds at a practice session. The 9mm was a couple of seconds faster. On the paper the 45 was better because of the scoring. I talked to some of the shooters at the practice and they pointed out the disadvantage of using a single stack vs a double stack during reloads (double stacks being slightly faster). For now I'll shoot the 9mm in SS (lower ammo cost as I do not reload) until I get to upper C then maybe I'll take the plunge and get a limited gun.

I shot a 6" .40 SS at last years L10 nationals. If I were doing it again with a .45, which I have many, many times, I wouldn't even consider not using the wilson 10 round mags! The long slide is just because I have this love of long sight radius, or maybe it's compensating for something? If you get the gun setup like the post earlier about the springs and mag well and assorted stuff, you can easily be competitive in L10. But I would keep the gun legal for SS division, as it makes it much more versatile. and most folks like the lighter snappier slide of the 5" guns. Now if I worked for a gun company with an outstanding Custom Shop, and didn't have to pay for it, I might get a gun like mine!!! Otherwise, mine would be SS legal, with big mags and all the weight I could hang on it.

Rob

Thanks Rob,

You're the man, i assumed incorrectly about last years L10 (making an ASSumer out of my self).

Cheers,

Los

Rob

You don't get better advice than that.