Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer pockets

I have been reloading on a single stage press for 40 years, and am just now considering a progressive loader. I have always taken the extra step to clean my primer pockets, but don't see how you can do this with a progressive loader. It seems the numbers are against me on doing this, but would like to hear what everyone thinks.

I have never seen it quantified that cleaning primer pockets, even on 'precision' rifles improves anything; however, I do it , too. And primer pockets are uniformed, of course! I got into that habit loading for M1s & M1As to prevent slamfires.

I clean the pockets in rifle brass, but no longer worry about it with pistol ammo. The only way it'll work is to either size or just decap the brass on the single stage, clean the pockets, then process normally on the progressive. For rifles, I size all brass single stage, fuss with the primer pockets (reaming & cleaning), then trim, and tumble. I use a universal decapping die on the first progressive station to make certain there's no tumbling media left in the flash holes.

The last time I cleaned primer pockets was before I got my Dillon in 1985, I shot competitive pistol for a number of years in the Master Class and cleaning primer pockets on pistol ammo is a complete and total waste of time. Very few shooters are capable of shooting as well as their pistol, and testing has shown no accuracy difference between cleaning or not cleaning primer pockets at normal pistol distances.

At most ranges I can't see any advantage to cleaning primer pockets in rifle ammo either, now if you regularly compete in 1,000 yard rifle matches in the Master Class, it might make a difference in that situation.

• 3 weeks later...

A while back in a post I mentioned in passing that I cleaned my primer pockets (that wasn't the point of my post) and I was roundly taken to task by many members, asking why I was doing that and advising I was wasting my time. I took their advice and stopped doing so - it certainly does save a lot of time. I do have to admit I am perhaps somewhat anal about my reloads and it made me feel good seeing that debris fall away from each primer pocket.