Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Basketball quickness drills?

C.W.

I'm looking to improve my movement and I had a thought - I remember seeing the basketball players in high school doing some drills around cones seems like they were placed about 5 yards in apart in a square and they'd move around them (while facing the same direction) forward, laterally, and backward. Is anyone doing anything like this? What do you think?

Edited by C.W.

I would call that a box drill (don't know if that is correct). You run, lateral, back pedal, lateral. I would say it's about two yards a side.

If you really wanna get some acceleration look into plyomeric workouts.

BTW, you think of movement and come up with baseball?!

Edit: Fixing a typo from a phone post.

Edited by Derek Wallace

If you really wanna get some acceleration look into polymeric workouts.

I believe you mean plyometric workouts.

We did them in high school for football ( during the summer conditioning workouts ), along with jump rope. Increased our 40yd dash times, which is quick burst type movement. If I remember, it's been many years, we jumped side to side over a small cone, jumped back and forth over the cone, jumped two legged in 40 yard intervals, then jumped rope for about 15 minutes. Did a lot for our quickness. I've often thought about doing that again after I drop some more weight. I'm just a wee bit over my playing weight from senior year....(if you consider 75 lbs a wee bit :unsure: )

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...