Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting the M1A prone

I'm thinking of trying heavy metal in the future. Are there any tips to shooting the M1A prone? Run a sling maybe? The AR makes it easy to shoot off the magazine. I think I've been spoiled. I'd also like to know what some of you use for magazine pouches too.

Edited by assaulter

I'm thinking of trying heavy metal in the future. Are there any tips to shooting the M1A prone? Run a sling maybe? The AR makes it easy to shoot off the magazine. I think I've been spoiled. I'd also like to know what some of you use for magazine pouches too.

I use Blade-Tech M1A pouches. I heated them up w/ a heat gun, shoved the mag in, and beat it w/ a rubber mallet so they would allow my mags to be carried on the left side with the bullets facing the rear. I have no idea why they made all these for leftys. I carry two of these attached to an Eagle drop leg platform. I don't like the drop leg platform, but with 6 single stack 45 mags, 4 shotshell strippers, and a pistol holster, my 32" waist has no room for two .308 rifle mags.

As far as shooting prone, I'm still trying to figure that one out! :) Wide open prone w/ nothing to brace against is difficult because the 20 round mags are so short. CMI makes a 25 rounder that could be blocked to 20, but I don't know if that would even give you enough height to monopod.

Bryan beat me to it, I have a 30rd that works when blocked to 20rds. The 25 rd mags are still not tall enough for me to monopod from without putting something on the bottom of them.

As far as mag pouches, I use Ready Tactical pouches, but if I would have seen Sam's rubber G3 mag pouches with the flaps cut off of them before I bought the Ready Tactical ones, I would be using $2 German surplus mag pouches (just make sure to get the rubber ones and not the rubberized cloth ones). Ready Tacticals work good, but they are not dirt cheap like surplus.

Hurley

When shooting highpower, I sling up tight and rest the bottom of the magazine on my forearm. But that's in a heavy coat - I wouldn't want to do that in a t shirt. For 3 gun I might sling up for long distances, but otherwise I just go prone.

I also run the Blade tech pouches. But instead of reforming them I took off the teck lock & drilled holes on the opposite side to make it ambidextrous. I have kydex to make a better designed pouch, but haven't had the time to do it.

Do you shoot the CMMG monthly matches? I should be there this month & you can shoot mine if you'd like.

Are there any tips to shooting the M1A prone? Run a sling maybe?

If you have time to get into position, you can use something like a Tactical Intervention Quick Cuff or Slip Cuff sling. Also TAB Gear makes a good sling that's easy to get in and out of.

If you have to sling up on the clock, then you might want to look at a speed sling or Ching sling. You can usually get a cheap nylon speed sling at K-Mart that works pretty well.

• 1 month later...

In general M1As don't like to be mono podded. It is putting an up tension on the back of the receiver in the worst place for the harmonics of the rifle. When I run a "14" I always sling it up in prone whether it is a Ching Sling or a regular 1907 Leather sling, that way my POA doesn't drift off. KurtM

In general M1As don't like to be mono podded. It is putting an up tension on the back of the receiver in the worst place for the harmonics of the rifle. When I run a "14" I always sling it up in prone whether it is a Ching Sling or a regular 1907 Leather sling, that way my POA doesn't drift off. KurtM

Thanks, Kurt, I have only had my M1A for a short time and only put a few hundred rounds through it. It is a GI parts kit on a Springfield receiver so when I shot it prone for groups, I just thought 3" was as good as it was going to get, now I will go back to the range and make sure the mag is not touching anything and shoot it again.

Thanks, Hurley