Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up a 1911 for a child

Canuck223

My twins asked me to teach them to shoot. They are 9 1/2 years old. We practiced making my STI GP6 safe over a few nights, and I'm proud to say thier getting very good at it.

However, the reach on the gun is a little too large for my comfort. While I want them to learn on a real sized gun, I don't want them to be handicapped with a poor grip.

I've got a 5 inch 1911 in 9mm on order. With the factory beavertail and short trigger, and a flat mainspring and thin grips, it's about perfect.

I suspect I'll get a .22lr conversion kit for the frame, but I'm thinking about setting up the 9mm top end for light loads.

My guess is that if they get a good start on the .22lr top end, they will be able to make the jump to minor power factor 9mm easily. However, in the interum, I was thinking about some 100 pf ammo to bridge the learning curve.

I was thinking about using a 10 pound recoil spring and a thin shock buff, running 115gr plated bullets at 900 fps.

Opinions???

My wife has child size hands, and her 9mm 1911 is set up like this:

Short trigger

flat mainspring

thin grips

right side mag release

low pad safety (Brownells 340-100-044)

11 lb progressive recoil spring, no buffer

full length guide rod

Tripp mags

147 gr Montana Gold, N320 at 131 PF

The right side mag release and the low pad safety really

finish the job of setting up a 1911 for small hands.

There are a couple imported 1911 based 22's on the market that are made with alloy frames, Also the Browning branded 1911 22 which I seem to recall being made 3/4 scale, be cheaper to shoot and lighter weight. might be the way to start.

My father taught me how to shoot pistol on his government 1911, starting when I was 8. Thinking back, the reach didn't bother me so much as the weight and recoil did. Those two factors caused a lot of bad habits early on that I didn't get over until my late teens. You know your kids best & what would be best for them, but when my son is old enough for pistols I will start him on something light and low recoil - like a Chiappa, Buckmark, or Ruger.

Sounds like a pretty good plan Similar to how I plan to set up a 9mm for my daughter in a year or so.

Just dont let them near an Open gun. Buying a pair of them would be painful lol.

I started my son with a Browning Buckmark when he was 7 and before he was 8 he was shooting my 1911. When he asked to try the 1911 I started with him sitting with elbows propped on his knees and only one round in the gun. From there I went to two rounds in the gun. The 1911 had a flat mainspring housing and short trigger, but standard grips. He has always had small hands, but did well enough that he shot his first club match when he was 10 years old with 175 PF loads. Start them with a 22 or very light 9 mm loads and progress from there and they will be fine.

I have thought about the GSG 1911, but there seem to be more frustrated owners than overjoyed owners up here. The Chiappa made versions seem even worse.

Since they will likely wind up shooting NRA Action Pistol with the gun, I figure a 9mm with a .22lr conversion is a good place to start.

I have thought about the GSG 1911, but there seem to be more frustrated owners than overjoyed owners up here. The Chiappa made versions seem even worse.

Since they will likely wind up shooting NRA Action Pistol with the gun, I figure a 9mm with a .22lr conversion is a good place to start.

I have a GSG.

Mine has been good but I drilled it to death.

Draw, Safety Off, Rack Slide, Drop Mag, Insert Mag, Drop Slide, Safety On, Reholster... for hours.

I've run about 2,000 rounds through it and broke the thumb safety.

My frustrations with it have been from upgrading parts and not knowing what I was doing.

I'm learning...

I have my 4-H kids shooting 22 Kimber conversions.

When they go to the next level I will upgrade them to the centerfire and 45 bullseye guns.

What I like is that my juniors can shoot off sand bags.

Intermediate shoot with both hands, seniors shoot strong hand on the relays.

9mm in a 1911 makes for a sweet shooting pistol. I have little bitty hands and shoot an STI double stack. It's a 6", 9mm. I too use the low safety Open17 mentioned. Since I have to roll my hand around the big grip to reach even the short trigger I cut the factory pad off the low safety and welded on one from an Ed Brown. Moved it back a a bit and the bigger, squared pad of the Brown helps me hit it with the end of my thumb. Haven't tried the right side mag release, I punch the left side button with my left thumb. Get to keep the gun on target and my reloads are actually quicker than rolling the gun, hitting the button with right thumb, rolling the gun back and going on. Learned that from Kay Miculek who teaches women (small hands) at her Babes With Bullets Camps. I've also removed all the checkering to make it a bit smaller, haven't textured it yet. Trying the Jerry Miculek theory of letting your hand move easily if you need to reposition.

Undercut the trigger guard to let my 2nd finger move higher and contoured the right side to let my index and second fingers wrap a bit farther. Flat mainspring housing but may change to arched. Talked to Jim Clark Sr. years ago and he recommended the arched for small hands - have them on my single stacks and like them. Tends to keep your hand higher for better release on the grip safety. My hand doesn't really touch the MS housing on the STI so might not matter.

Big handed folks don't like the safety, those with small ones lust after my gun.