Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45LC bullets in a 45ACP?

Can you use 45LC bullets in a 45ACP when reloading? Reason I'm asking is I shot a friends 9mm loads the other day. He was loading 147gr Montana Gold bullets. The recoil was very mininmal and spongey. Will using a 250gr bullet in my 45ACP have the same effect?

This may be a stupid question but I cant see why a .452" bullet designed for the Long Colt be any different than a .452" designed for a 45ACP.

Is it the length that will hinder the load?

So there is no problem then right? Good.

Anyone have any load data or experience in this load? I was probably going to go with Berry 250gr RN.

i've never used actual true .45 acp bullets, because all that has ever been available is .45LC bullets. my favorite right now is 185gr .452 .45LC.

the problem you will have is if you were to try to load the larger 250 grain bullet to self defense loads. it is obviously the same diameter as a 185 grain bullet, but it is much much heavier. that means it's much longer, and it takes up a LOT of the room in the case for powder. i experienced this using 240gr bullets meant for .454 casull. i was able to make useable loads for plinking... but i couldn't come near major power factor with the particular powder i was using. there just wasn't enough room.

I found some 300 gr .451 bullets and tried them out for an IDPA load once. It cycled the gun but felt very very weird. I forgot the velocity, somewhere in the low 400 fps range. Neat experiment but I would shoo it in a match.

The sole purpose for this load will be for IDPA. Self defense loads are all factory. As long as I meet the power factor, and it cycles the gun, penetration and velocity isn't an issue. I just need a place to start.

The sole purpose for this load will be for IDPA. Self defense loads are all factory. As long as I meet the power factor, and it cycles the gun, penetration and velocity isn't an issue. I just need a place to start.

it may be possible, but with clays, using a 240 grain bullet, i could not safely meet power factor. i found it much easier to use a lighter bullet.

I'd stick with the 230RN with VV N310 powder for that "soft feel" in my 1911's. The "pinbuster" is said to be that not only for the weight of the bullet, but the profile as well.. some people even checker the ends of the bullets to really bite into the pin.

Reliability wise, practicality wise, I'm going with a 230.

A 250gr bullet would need to go 660fps. That sounds doable right?

as was stated before, the problem becomes having enough physical room in the case to put enough powder to get up to that velocity. in .45LC, you have a much longer case, and can get that thing to scoot. i found myself compressing the powder and still not getting enough velocity, but getting high pressures. you might be able to pull it off. i only tried one powder, and that was clays.