Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

380 mixed in with 9mm

BBBB

I find it hard to spot even if I sort the brass unless I look at each headstamp, which is a pain. I hate seeing that empty position working around the toolhead that results from one sneaking it's way in.

http://www.shellsorter.com/

You can also buy em from MidwayUSA.

Trust me. You will love it. I no longer pick up only what I reload. I pick up everything if it looks to be in good condition and just let the sorters do their job.

9x18? I've personally only seen that a couple of times. Nobody shoots it at my matches. The only time that gets in there is when I am at the indoor range.

I can usually pin point something long like 38 super. When I reach into my brass while loading on my 550, it just feels different once I load it on the shell plate.

380 is my most annoying problem though.

I've loaded SO MUCH 9mm, I can FEEL the difference at least 9 out of 10 times when I pick it up to load it... The cases are lighter and smaller.

I do still occasionally drop one into my SDB. It will resize/de-prime, the primer will seat, and then it will POP out of the priming station before the powder drops, since the rim is smaller. I now have about 50-70 primed 380 cases ready to go... if I ever get the dies! (I do carry/shoot a Kel-Tec 380)

Also... if you put your cleaned brass in a tray and shake them back and forth, the cases will mostly align themselves right-side up (heavy end down), and the shorter 380 brass will stick out like short little sore thumbs...

Jeff

http://www.shellsorter.com/

You can also buy em from MidwayUSA.

Trust me. You will love it. I no longer pick up only what I reload. I pick up everything if it looks to be in good condition and just let the sorters do their job.

9x18? I've personally only seen that a couple of times. Nobody shoots it at my matches. The only time that gets in there is when I am at the indoor range.

I can usually pin point something long like 38 super. When I reach into my brass while loading on my 550, it just feels different once I load it on the shell plate.

380 is my most annoying problem though.

As a tip, I put the .380 plate in an "oil pan" and put in a handful of brass at a time. That way it does not get overloaded with brass and the .380 brass can not accidentally get mixed in with the sorted 9mm. When I am done sorting all my 9mm, I just knock out the plate and dump the .380 into a container in one shot.

Hate the .380s too. Just last week I managed to load two rounds out of 1000. I didn't notice until I was putting all the finished rounds into the ammo box. Shell sorter is now on the list of things to buy.

I have and like the three tray shell sorter, saves a lot of time over hand sorting. I've been thinking about the .380 plate but wanted to hear how someone who had on felt about it. .380's are a real pain to sort out of 9mm and a few always manage to get in the hopper.

Sounds like a good investment.

After getting the suggestions on here I went ahead and picked up the three tray sorter and the 380 plate. I have only used it once. It was a lot of about 400-450 pieces. It was mostly 9mm with some 45, 40, and 380 mixed in. As other have commented it is surprisingly loud when you really shake it. I ended up wearing my hearing protection. Other than that I really liked it. It seemed to do a good job of quickly sorting the cases into 4 groups. I only noticed one nested case that did not come apart and sort without assistance. It was pretty easy to spot since everything else in the sorter was of a uniform size and appearance. About a dozen or so 380's passed through the plate. I won't know for sure until I loaded that batch of brass and discover if all the 380's were removed but so far I am impressed and optimistic that this will solve the problem. Thanks to everyone who suggested it and added their comments.