Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LnL powder spilling as shell plate rotates

Lately i've been noticing that there is a decent amount of powder flicked out of the case when it indexes to the next position. I've began to notice this as i load some magnum calibers that throw a larger grain charge and fill the cases with fine ball powder like H110 or 2400. I've noticed it a little bit in the past with loading fine ball powder such as titegroup in 9mm vs my normal N320 which as large kernels but the effect is exacerbated when loading 6x as much powder in the bigger cases. My pawls are adjusted as far out as possible so that they smoothly ride the drive cog till the last possible moment but the cog will ultimately disengage from the pawl before the shell plate is fully indexed to the next detent thereby letting it snap into place and cause the spillage. Pulling them out any further makes the pawls lock up on the drive cog so there's no more wiggle room in my outward adjustment. Any thoughts?

Found a decent solution: use a viscous grease under the shell plate to slow its action down. put a dab in each detent hole and a trail between them and the movement is damped quite well. I used whatever i had lying around which was the normal viscosity Slide Glide. Make sure your pawls are adjusted out as far as possible so it pushes the shell plate assembly as much as it can. If you have them adjusted short, it may work with a dry setup since the inertia may be sufficient to let it snap into place but with the greased setup, you need full mechanical guidance otherwise it may not advance all the way with every stroke.

Lately i've been noticing that there is a decent amount of powder flicked out of the case when it indexes to the next position. I've began to notice this as i load some magnum calibers that throw a larger grain charge and fill the cases with fine ball powder like H110 or 2400. I've noticed it a little bit in the past with loading fine ball powder such as titegroup in 9mm vs my normal N320 which as large kernels but the effect is exacerbated when loading 6x as much powder in the bigger cases. My pawls are adjusted as far out as possible so that they smoothly ride the drive cog till the last possible moment but the cog will ultimately disengage from the pawl before the shell plate is fully indexed to the next detent thereby letting it snap into place and cause the spillage. Pulling them out any further makes the pawls lock up on the drive cog so there's no more wiggle room in my outward adjustment. Any thoughts?

happnes all the time as I am loading 9 major. Is a pain in the ass as it frequently clocks my primer feeding system. Beside the already mentined solution of trying to slow it down you can put the seating die directly behing the powder die. That means that you cannot use a powder chop or so but it also means only one station where it can potentialy drop powder.

I recently got a bullet feeder and a nice side effect is that it frees up a hand so I can simply put a finger on the case.

I load 9 major with a bullet feeder and I'm not having the issue. I tighten the shell plate down till there is a small amount of drag. I use wheel bearing grease on the shell plate balls. I keep a spray can of Brake Cleaner handy for the the primer punch, if it gets to miss behaving I give it a squirt, whipe it off with a rag. If it locks up just reach under and filp the punch a couple times by hand and it clears up.

I get a little splah when I get a primer that is hard to seat or when the EzEject don't eject easy.

As said, tighten the shellplate down to increase drag (but be sure that the timing is still good so the primer can get where it needs in time to meet the shellplate) and use a heavy marine grease.

Maintain a smooth but not fast or jerky rhythm.

The best thing is simply to place your let index finger on the case.

I find after 30 years of using a progressive, that my index finger just automatically goes over the case mouth and drags the shellplate a bit.

I have only experienced this while loading with 4756. I grease the bottom of the shell plate and for the most part, it eliminates it. I verify charge and drop the bullet on the case before indexing when loading 4756 in my 38 supercomp cases. This seems to serve the same purpose as covering it with my finger and I only need to bring my left hand to the press once, saving time over a loading session. I have not experienced powder on the plate while loading other calibers or powders.

I used to have that problem.. then adjusted the pawls IN.. I turned each one almost 2 full turns, then fine tuned. The press and casefeeder run smoother than ever.

Just an idea...