Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

red follower mags

finally got my 9mm limited running but only with some of the previous generation mags. the new mags are just too big to use without modifing the inside of the frame of my pistol. henning has a few left but, where to go when his stock is exhausted? these are the one's w/ red follower and small block in front. anyone know of other vendors that might still stock them? most cordially, vic

You could probably get hundreds of the red follower mags for free because nobody wants them.

Do yourself a favor and return/exchange those mags you got for ones that aren't defective. You are the only person I've heard of that has reported the new mags won't fit, so I think you got bad mags.

You could probably get hundreds of the red follower mags for free because nobody wants them.

Do yourself a favor and return/exchange those mags you got for ones that aren't defective. You are the only person I've heard of that has reported the new mags won't fit, so I think you got bad mags.

nealio, ordered 2 of the new mags from henning couple weeks ago. both mags measured 1.373 x .850. 023" too deep. mags bound up half way inserted and had to be pushed out thru ejection port when fully inserted. these are the new meg-gar mags. went round a bit w/ henning's but was sent two of the older mags to try and they work fine. i don't load more than 7 rnds anyway for the game i shoot w/ it. i would preffer the new mags but don't know if i would expect someone to mic their entire stock to accomodate someone that might have an out of spec gun. the alternative would be to have the frame relieved but feel it's kinda bass akwards to make the gun fit the mag! mic some of your 9mm mags and let me know what you get. thanks, vic

I guess its possible you have an out of spec mag channel.

I measured my "new new" MecGar made mags and the 3 were: 1.369, 1.370, and 1.371.

I measured one of my "old new" Tanfoglio "rear spacer" mags and it was 1.350.

I'm never going to use these older style mags, but if want them I can sell them to you. They are newer/better version than the crappy front spacer mags you have. I also put a full length follower in them so you can run 20 rounds with the Henning H-141 pad if you want.

IM me if you're interested.

- Nealio

If the new mags don't say K9 on them they are not the new Mec-Gar production mags. I've never seen a new K-Series not run flawlessly! I put a EAA Long Slide conversion kit in 9mm on my 38S Match frame yesterday and ran the K9 mag supplied with the kit 17+1. 75 rds later not a hic-up. Mag loads, drops free holds slide open, all the things it's supposed to do. Send the two obviusly defective mags back to EAA and try again. Because like NEALIO says there's plenty of used "old red follower" mags available. Both Cals and Midway have New red follower for sale now.

Edited by david s

If the new mags don't say K9 on them they are not the new Mec-Gar production mags. I've never seen a new K-Series not run flawlessly! I put a EAA Long Slide conversion kit in 9mm on my 38S Match frame yesterday and ran the K9 mag supplied with the kit 17+1. 75 rds later not a hic-up. Mag loads, drops free holds slide open, all the things it's supposed to do. Send the two obviusly defective mags back to EAA and try again. Because like NEALIO says there's plenty of used "old red follower" mags available. Both Cals and Midway have New red follower for sale now.

david s, they are the k9 mags w/ black follower and they just don't fit. i do not understand why they would increase the depth by .023" when all the rest hovered around 1.350. i am trying to research the mfg date on my pistol, 31xxx. maybe i don't have an out of spec gun but have a good one built before they realized a problem and started cutting them a little more oversize. if i can solve this problem without cutting it, that's the way i want to go. thanks for your input, vic

if i don't get an answer locally 'bout cutting my gun for the new mags, maybe between nelio & yourself i would like to put together 5,6,7 of the rear block mags. let me know what u got & what u want. most cordially, laura&vic

I will check tonight. I know I have some rear spacer, front spacer, and a few that I removed the spacer all together. I got all of them to feed reliably at one point. Some have Henning springs and followers.

Edited by gerritm

came home after a very hot day @ work w/ neck and left shoulder spasaming and really just pissed off! sat down and checked my e-mails and started fretting over my gun again as to which way i want to go w/ it. i remembered someone telling me that his grips were too thick and was causing some binding. i dismissed that in my case,, as i knew there was something else at work here, but what the f***. took the grips off, inserted a new k9 mag, held it up to a light, lo and behold, a high spot half way up the inside of the back strap! 5 minutes w/ my dremel and a sanding drum the problem is solved! now the front spacer mags will go back to henning and it's balls-out from here on out. want to thank ya'll for your input and offers as it is much appreciated! regards, laura&vic

I put a Hogue rubber finger grip on my 9mm match and it bound the mags up in several spots. Ended up returning the grip as it would have been too hard and would have thinned out the grips too much to sand them down. I had e-mailed Hogue to see what grip would work and they reccommened this one. When I called to return it the CS person said that it would only fit regular Witness pistols. I really iked the grip too. Glad you got it resolved.

• 3 weeks later...