Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Go faster package on my new FN MK1

Kyreb

I dropped the FN SLP off with Briley this morning. I am getting an action job, loading port opened, lifter modified to take off sharp forks and edges, forcing cone opened up and some high speed aftermarket parts installed, ( Nordic bolt handle, changing red to green on FO front sight, Nordic oversize bolt release button)

Work will take about 4 weeks.

Did not go for their full blown 3 gun package but got most of it. Should be GTG for our 3 gun match in August. :lol: Rick

Edited by Kyreb

What does having the forcing cone opened up do?

This has been a popular mod with skeet shooters for many years.

They lengthen the forcing cone from ~ 1/2" out to ~ 1 3/4". Theory is that the gentler angle deforms the shot far less and results in more uniform patterns.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I got it back from Briley about two weeks ago. Work looks nice and clean....trigger and action smoothed out well.

However, I started practicing some loading drills with dummy rounds and noticed I was getting some jams on a frequent basis. I was getting two different failure to feeds on a consistent basis. The first seems to have the shell contacting the front edge of the chamber. I noticed this edge is much more pronounced than on my 1100.

The second jam has the shell entering the chamber about 3/4 way and then getting hung up on the lifter.

On my first range trip with live ammo the same jams occured evety 4-5 rounds. I was shooting Remington full house slugs and AA 1 1/8 oz "silver bullet" rounds.

The shotgun is now back at Briley. I want the chamber mouth chamfered to address the first situation. I have no idea what is up with the lifter.

:angry:

Edited by Kyreb