Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red FO sight finally installed on Limited

kwesi

FYI: it took some 400 grit sandpaper and a lot of patient sanding of the bottom and sides slowly to get the FO to finally slide in. That even took a soft hammer to tap tap tap. I used a punch for the final 1/16". It was definitely too wide as shipped.

You dremel'd a new set screw recess I hope?

On mine I just sanded the bottom. I like em tight so they stay put after you install them ;)

All I did was sand the bottom and sides. The sides were definitely too wide. BTW: why would a new set screw recess be needed? I don't even think it needed the screw it is so tight!

You dremel'd a new set screw recess I hope?

On mine I just sanded the bottom. I like em tight so they stay put after you install them ;)

All I did was sand the bottom and sides. The sides were definitely too wide. BTW: why would a new set screw recess be needed? I don't even think it needed the screw it is so tight!

I thought the same thing; "man this is so tight it should be good" and mine flew off after 1 mag's worth of my handloads (and was never found).... So hopefully you have better luck. :)

Also I didn't grind a setscrew recess in my 9mm either, but after about 2000 rounds I could see it starting to back out also. So I ground those recesses and nothing has moved.

Also for when fitting items in dovetail cuts:

If you just sand the bottom, it will make it sit lower in the channel (effectively making it "narrower) that way you don't have to worry about messing up the angles when trying to sand the very thin sides of the sight.

Edited by Nealio

I was told to only sand the bottom but it soon became obvious that the sides were too wide. So I sanded both not really knowing what I was doing. Hope it stays tight & as accurate as the other front post. Hope to test her within a week.

Just did this too.

Sometimes the shape of the dovetail is out of spec.

So yes, sand the bottom first but you have to look at the sides too.

I had a sight that I kept thinking was too wide and then I sanded the Dovetail angle and all of a sudden it was too loose.

Had to shim it

• 3 weeks later...