Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie here --Need 10mm Info.

Fotis

Hi guys. New to to forum.

I have been shooting the heck out of my Tanfoglio EAA Witness Limited Pro 10MM .

Now before firing it I did swap springs to a 20 LBS spring set from Wolff.

I shot another 50 rounds or so yesterday with a hotter load

180 gr JHP with a max load of Blue dot. They averaged 1300 fps. Definitely max and I felt it too, and verified by the chronograph.

Light loads ---heavy loads---- everything!

So far so good. I did have one problem though. Got an extra mag from Midway USA. They advertised it as a 15 shot. When it arrived it had 14 written on it and that is all she will hold! No big deal until I tried to seat it in the gun. I slammed the heck out of it in order to seat it and I thought it sat well. Every shot the mag release disengaged and it fell on the ground!

I called Midway USA and they are sending a new one. The factory mag is a gem.

It seems to me that it does not seat in deep enough for the magazine "button" to engage the groove on the magazine. Any input?

Also is this the model 10mm that has the cracked slides issue? This slide feels like a boat anchor and I had a 20 lbs spring kit installed from wolf.

One more question. Is this the model that was affected by the cracked frames? Also any recommendations on upgrades to extend life?

If I do order more magazine where should I buy from? I also heard there was an O.A.L issue with them????????????

Sorry for the multiple questions and thanx!

Edited by Fotis

As I mentioned in the other thread, the Sprinco guide rod is the biggest thing you can do to keep that 10mm in 1 piece. I was seeing peening in the frame where the guide rod sits, after 500 rounds, but after I installed the Sprinco it looks just the same as it did (after another ~700 rounds).

As far as the mags go, is this an EAA mag? Several guys have said the new ones require that you sand the basepad down because they are thicker than the old ones. This will help the seating and mag catch issues.

So the cracked frame and slide issues IMHO are due to 2 major factors:

1. The "round" slide (on the entry level models) doesn't seem to be designed to handle a load with this kind of power.

2. Most people think a 20# spring is all you need (because that is the stiffest you can buy), but if the slide hits the frame it will "shock load" the slide, which then will cause everything to crack eventually.

So if you properly spring your square slide, you should be fine for a while.

You can check to see if you are getting frame contact by looking at the back of the dust cover on the slide, and the face of the block that the barrel lug sits in. If you see any shiny'ness or its really clean, then you are hitting the frame.

As far as the mags go, is this an EAA mag? Several guys have said the new ones require that you sand the basepad down because they are thicker than the old ones. This will help the seating and mag catch issues.

I tried to post the link to the Midway USA page but the forum says I am too new to do that. Same thing with the pictures of the gun.

the product number is 416807 just go to midwayusa and plug it in..

Sanding the bottom does make sense actually.....

If K10 is etched in too the mag and has a black follower and no spacer it is one of the new Mec-Gar/Tangfolio 10mm mags. Shipped from MidWay in clear bag with pink EAA disclaimer card.

These mags don't fit Magwells. At least they don't fit Hennings Magwell on my Hunter, i'd assume it's the same for the Factory Magwell. I put H500 pads on and they run fine & add one extra round.

Edited by david s

Well Update. I did file the base pads after removal and they work like a charm. I guess they were oversized and would not allow proper lock up.

Now something else...

EAA Witness 10mm and C.O.A.L. problems?

Has anyone had this problem? The standard max cartridge overall length for the 10mm is 1.260".

Every time I load them to this length, regardless of bullet type I get about 2-3 failures to feed per mag.

When I load them to 1.250" no issues at all. Not a big deal since all the factory stuff is under 1.260" and I can control mine....just asking.

thank you

It's not just a matter of length, it's also a matter of shape. (Yes, I know, that's what she said. :-))

If you have factory ammo that feeds properly, line up your reloads beside the factory ammo and make sure that the profile of your reloads fits within the silhouette of the factory ammo. That may force you to use a shorter OAL, but at least it'll be within a set of dimensions that are known to work. After that initial setting, then you can tweak the length some more.

Needless to say, if you are making shorter bullets, be sure to back off your powder load and work your way back up again to your target velocity.

As I mentioned in the other thread, the Sprinco guide rod is the biggest thing you can do to keep that 10mm in 1 piece. I was seeing peening in the frame where the guide rod sits, after 500 rounds, but after I installed the Sprinco it looks just the same as it did (after another ~700 rounds).

OK added the sprinco guide rod per your recommendation.

So far it feeds everything as long as it is 1.250' or less, I will be trying some cast bullets if I can get some.

My new Limited has been having occasional feeding issues with FMJ's with an OAL near 1.260. Loaded up a new recipe that varies 1.246 - 1.252 (due to components). No feeding issues so far & I have not polished the feed ramp. I was running the factory spring + Sprinco recoil rod. These 10mm rounds should range 1175 - 1240. Sun was so bright my chrono would not register.

Do search for CHA-LEE he came up with a %100 full proof way to fix your feeding issue with nose dives. Ive done it and it works , you need to take a undersize sizing die , drill it out and full length size your brass and if you buy the 140mm mag extentions from Hennings you can reload 21 round mags all day long.

• 3 months later...

The slide on my 10mm EAA Witness steel cracked. It also had a Wolff 20 pound recoil spring. I noticed EAA on their website sells the blued slides. Will the blued slides work on the Wonder-finish frames? Are the blued slides the better squared style slides?