Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Squib Loads

67 LS1 Camaro

I've never had a squib load (yet)...maybe because I'm very anal when reloading. I always check the case for powder right before the head goes on - every single round!!!(I use a 550) But I have shooters friends that have 'em often. I see squibs at least once a month.

On one match, a shooter had a squib in his compensated single stack .45 ....... We had squib rods but no alen wrench to remove the two piece guide rod. So I suggested we try to fire a round without the bullet head. I removed the head with pliers, dumped out half of the powder charge And plugged it with a small piece of napkin. I fed the round slowly guiding it with my finger so it stays under the extractor. Fired it. And it works. I've been helping shooters that way ever since. Some guys keep a round(no head) in their range bag just in case.

Just wondering if anyone tried this.

I'm confused as to why everyone seems to think this is a bad idea...

I mean, it seems like a sound concept to me, although I think knocking a bullet out with a squib rod would be faster and would also allow another shooter to shoot that particular stage.

I mean, you've got a bullet partially down the barrel. You then insert a reduced charge behind it to push it out. As long as the bullet actually makes it out of the barrel with that reduced charge, I don't see a KB waiting to happen with this. There's more space for the powder to occupy, which means lower pressures..etc

I don't see an issue with it, although I'd give someone a rod and a hammer first and direct them to the safe area.

But maybe I'm missing something...

I first had the idea about two years ago when I saw a shooter beating a squib out of his brand new M2I limited .40 barrel.Then needing to recrown becuase of accuracy loss.It took two guys,one holds the barrel and the other hammer and rod. More so when I was in an indoor range and saw my buddy beating a squib out of his open STI,the needing to take his gun to the gunsmith to re-align the comp.........

I just think it soooo much more simple and fast..One person,no recrown,and no barrel/comp re-align...

a.roberts beat me to the theory...

As a last resort this sounds like a good idea... I don't see where it could do any harm.

Just thinking out loud here:

1. The reason someone is pounding on a rod is because the bullet is stuck.

2. Plugging the only exit for pressure on a blocked barrel then setting off an unknown charge can only increase the barrel pressure and may( I said "may") egg the barrel. At worse may split the barrel if the pressure is too high.

3. High pressure may also bleed back thru the primer, or split the case of the rescue round and damage the gun. That is why high pressure loads cause damage. I believe Mr.Elmer Keith blew out several guns by over powering loads and that was on revolvers not closed semi autos.

4. I probably have no clue as to what I'm talking about. Just saying, you know.

The main problem I see is the brass wont be under enough pressure to seal the chamber and it will vent gasses out through the back of the chamber at the shooter. Now how much pressure? we don't know because we don't know for certain where the bullet is or why it is stuck or how much powder is in the case.I fully expect a DQ for unsafe gun handling at a USPSA match.

As a last resort this sounds like a good idea... I don't see where it could do any harm.

2. Plugging the only exit for pressure on a blocked barrel then setting off an unknown charge can only increase the barrel pressure and may( I said "may") egg the barrel. At worse may split the barrel if the pressure is too high.

3. High pressure may also bleed back thru the primer, or split the case of the rescue round and damage the gun. That is why high pressure loads cause damage. I believe Mr.Elmer Keith blew out several guns by over powering loads and that was on revolvers not closed semi autos.

I always thought that it was pressure(powder) that is used to propel the bullet out of a barrel. Isn't it basically the same thing, but with a much more OAL no matter where the bullet is lodged. Just using a low charge to get the bullet out. I popped one out to about 15 yards.

Edited by 67 LS1 Camaro

This is a very old method, that works every time - used it a few times. Surprisingly, as I told someone about it a couple of weeks ago at a match, people started running away from me like I was suggesting skinning their kids.

I specifically mentioned it because I saw a guy hammer his squib for half an hour, then pack the gun because he was not able to get it out. You can swage the bullet in very tightly if you don't do it right. With a blank there is no risk.

I always thought that it was pressure(powder) that is used to propel the bullet out of a barrel. Isn't it basically the same thing, but with a much more OAL no matter where the bullet is lodged. Just using a low charge to get the bullet out. I popped one out to about 15 yards.

I agree that it's the pressure that propels the bullet.It's the guess work that curls my toe nails. I guess I'm not that much of a risk taker. Big companies spent a small fortune over the years to get those just right recipes which we use to reload ammo. Pressure can be some scary s**t. In some things the time tested way just seems safer and better. I'll stick with being OCD in my reloading and a brass rod in my range bag. Of course if you'd be willing to part with that sweet 67 I might change my mind. :devil:

So I suggested we try to fire a round without the bullet head. I removed the head with pliers, dumped out half of the powder charge And plugged it with a small piece of napkin. I fed the round slowly guiding it with my finger so it stays under the extractor. Fired it. And it works. I've been helping shooters that way ever since. Some guys keep a round(no head) in their range bag just in case.

Just wondering if anyone tried this.

Sounds like it will work just fine...

I'd probably close my eyes, turn my head and make "The Face" when pulling the trigger :roflol: