Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI SPARTAN front sight cut, and chromed barrel

WARDOG

I've just bought a STI SPARTAN 9

I would like to know why in the hell they chromed the outside of the barrel,

And also, what is the cut for front sight? It seems not the standard sti cut, I've found on the web that the spartans have the front dovetail cut for novak's sight, anyone care to confirm or deny?

Thanks in advance.

If it has the same cut as a Rock Island then it is .085" deep rather than the normal .075". Since the gun comes from Armscor then I suspect it has the same cut. If it does have the Rock cut these will fit. I will check my Spartan. Sorry but I am not going to knock off the front sight just to see. I don't have an issue with the FO sight it comes with. http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT%3ARock+Island+Armory+Front+Sights:Rock+Island+Armory+Optic+Inserted+Front+Sights

I would like to know why in the hell they chromed the outside of the barrel,

As opposed to? Why would they not? I've never seen or even heard of a chromed pistol barrel that didn't have the entire barrel, outside and inside, treated.

Maybe I used the wrong words, I mean, the finish on the outside is different from inside, outside it's like mirror nickel finish, while inside is more greyish, it's not even. It's done for corrosion resistance?

Dawson makes a specific front sight for the Spartan so if you don't find your answer just give them a call and they'll likely be able to help you out. Who knows why they finish the barrels like they do, it does make them clean up easier though:)

Actually I was thinking about a blank front sight, having ordered a fixed harrison rear sight, In order to have it shortened to impact POA with my loads.

Also, not a fan of f.o. sights, would prefer a plain one.