Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh Hell

bbbean

Without something to hide the bear trap, that target is going to be shot before it's activated.

Also I don't believe you can stipulate that shots must pass underneath the bar and between the barrels unless this is a level I match/course of fire. And if it's indeed and outdoor match you will likely get some grumbling about freestyle shooting in the process. Especially since this is a field course with very free movement in the shooting area. How will you know that all scoring shots passed under the bar and between the barrels? That will turn into a scoring nightmare and a gaming paradise. A few extra walls and you are covered though.

Also good luck constructing that target on the far left unless you have some seriously long staples. Most staples only make it through 2 or 3 layers of targets max. Those look 5 deep.

Barry...to remove grid lines on ground and make your stage look better, go to Sketchup menu, Window, layers and click to turn off Grid. Also in Window menu, select Model info and click on "Purge unused" to reduce your file size.

Looks fun, but I'd use a clam shell target where head only shows until you activate, then whole target shot for a few seconds. I'd also tuck in popper to force movement to right corner...and being EVIL :devil: ...put a no-shoot behind it.

FWIW, this is intended for a level 1 match. I originally drew the stage with a horizontal wall covering T7-T9 (thanks for the idea, Spankavelli), but it's a lot easier to drag two barrels and a stick over than 4 barrels and a 4X8 (or larger) wall. What I wanted to do was simply force a change of position at an awkward point in the stage so that shooters would either have to get down and get back up, or find a way to end the stage at those targets.

I hadn't considered someone shooting the max trap without activating it. I'll have to review the rules, but unless I can find a rule requiring activation, I'm happy with shooters making the choice to go for a tight head shot or activate the trap for a wide open shot.

Thanks for the input. I'll mull over the max trap.

eta: Mark, I think we're talking about the same target. http://www.gunsteel.com/maxtrap.html.

Thanks for the tip about grid lines. I hadn't found that option. As you can see from the PDF I just crop when I drop the pic into Word.

BB

Edited by bbbean

Is that cluster of targets on the left available other than just the rear left corner of the shooting area? If it is not available elsewhere, then you need to find a way to make give it more visibility so that you can comply with the requirement that no more than 8 shots may be required from a single location or view in a long course.

Otherwise, it looks good! I like the variety of targets all within a single course.

Is that cluster of targets on the left available other than just the rear left corner of the shooting area? If it is not available elsewhere, then you need to find a way to make give it more visibility so that you can comply with the requirement that no more than 8 shots may be required from a single location or view in a long course.

T1-T6 are to be engaged with 1 shot each. It's a 6 shot array.

BB

Can you post the skp file on the warehouse? I'd love to tweak and play with it a bit.

Done. Posted as Oh Hell.skp with tags USPSA Stage design Barry Bean.

tweak away - but read the PDF for notes before you tweak too much.

Thanks,

BB

T1-T6 are to be engaged with 1 shot each. It's a 6 shot array.

BB

Ah! I should have cracked open the PDF instead of just looking at the picture. Thanks!

You have a 30 round long course.. you can't dictate where T7-T9 are to be engaged.

If you want them to be engaged as you have intended, you will need to construct the walls and vision barriers in a manner to compel the shooter to engage them as intended.

The stage does not fit the Level I exemption.

1.1.5.1 Level I matches may use shooting boxes and specify where or when specific target arrays may be engaged, and may specify mandatory reloads in short and medium courses only (not in a long course).

You also should include in the Stage Procedure that T1-T6 are to be engaged with one round each.

One other thing to consider on all of the targets stacked on top of each other. At higher level matches, these targets will always have a strip of hardcover dilineating the targets. This does 2 things:

1. It keeps 1 round from counting as a hit on 2 targets.

2. It lets the shooter know where 1 target ends and the next one begins.

This is a lesson I learned the hard way.

One other thing to consider on all of the targets stacked on top of each other. At higher level matches, these targets will always have a strip of hardcover dilineating the targets. This does 2 things:

1. It keeps 1 round from counting as a hit on 2 targets.

2. It lets the shooter know where 1 target ends and the next one begins.

This is a lesson I learned the hard way.

I've used these targets before without a problem, but you have a good point. Maybe I'll make 3 of them zebras or head only hard cover.

Thanks.

I hope you don't mind. I threw a couple walls and some snowfence over/around your 3 targets. Call the snow-fence hard cover and you should be good.

I also moved T13-14 and the two walls since there was a shoot through issue with T11-12 from the left side of the stage.

k1yf0b5iop3tnjo4mbq5.png