Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MagPul AFG - effective or not?

GDavis

Not effective. They just add weight to the end of your rifle. The only thing they do for certain is make you look cool or like a tool depending on what forum you frequent.

They were effective in showing the CQB experts what us 3 gun guys already know. You can swing the gun faster with your hand put on the handcuffs rather than on the Magwell.

Edited by jtischauser

I've been considering a Magpul angle forend grip for my AR. Wondering if they really help or are they just a crutch for poor rifle handling? Thanks.

I like my AFG. Stippled it to make the surface more aggressive and it gives me a very solid grip wet or dry, at a constant reference point. Fills my xl hand better than just the straight ff tube does.

My opinion is I like it, whether that makes me cool or a tool IDK ;)

Not effective. They just add weight to the end of your rifle. The only thing they do for certain is make you look cool or like a tool depending on what forum you frequent.

They were effective in showing the CQB experts what us 3 gun guys already know. You can swing the gun faster with your hand put on the hand guard rather than on the Magwell.

I just got mine and so far, I like it. I will run it in a match next month so I will know then if I really like it.

Gatekeeper, got any pics or advice for stippling it? Thanks

Jtischauser, are you confusing this with the magwell grip?

They get in the way for supporting or bracing off barricades. Every time I see someone using one at multigun matches they run into situations where they would be better served by a smooth fore end on the bottom. I don't think most of the users even notice when its a detriment and its costing them a few seconds here or there because they aren't supporting as effectively.

Memory serves, Jansen Jones and Rob Romero of the Noveske Shooting Team both use AFG's. Watched them at Ozark and they put them to good use stabilizing on walls for longer shots. I've got one on my truck rifle and it's okay. Just haven't spent a lot of time with it.

Depends on how you grip the forend and hold your left arm.

I used one for a three day tactical class and I liked it a lot. But for that, you want to have your elbows tucked which changes your grip on the forend. Once I went back to a elbows out position with my hand rotated more upwards, it just became a hindrance.

I just got mine and so far, I like it. I will run it in a match next month so I will know then if I really like it.

Gatekeeper, got any pics or advice for stippling it? Thanks

No problem, didn't want to derail this thread so I put it here-----> http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=131166&pid=1477523&st=0entry1477523

I started using one in place of my vertical grip on my 16" rifle. Was using a short LaRue FUG and grasping it about how you would naturally hold onto the AFG instead of gripping as a full grip. The AFG gives me a lower profile piece compared to a standard vertical grip.

They get in the way for supporting or bracing off barricades. Every time I see someone using one at multigun matches they run into situations where they would be better served by a smooth fore end on the bottom. I don't think most of the users even notice when its a detriment and its costing them a few seconds here or there because they aren't supporting as effectively.

This was my experience. I used one for awhile and really liked it for off hand shooting. At every match there was a least one stage where I wished I did not have it, eventually it had to go.