Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Gas coming out of screw...

sandman_sy

I was adjusting the screw and tuning the 77gr Sierra to my Rifle. and i placed a masking tape on the screw just to be sure it did not turn when i tried double tapping and running around with the rifle. But when i took off the tape, and was about to loctite the screw, i saw on the tape that it had some black dirt, signs of gas coming out of the screw.

I postponed the idea of loctiting the screw, coz if drop a loctite in it, it will sure as hell seal that leaking gas. is that how its suppose to be?? should i seal it up and just pray i didn't do the wrong thing??

Noooooo! Do not Lock-tite! I set mine up in the winter and had real problems in the summer. You need to be able to "adjust" the adjustable set screw. Now I'm shooting different loads and need to adjust again. The variable gas system is only a benefit if you can dial it down to the "reliable" minimum. That changes with load and climate, My 2 cents.

Mark

I used to have 4 JP rifles and I blue loctite the screw on all of them. Reason being I had a few matches where the gas block closed on me and turned my boom stick into single shot in the middle of a stage. Adjust it to your load as per JP's instructions, remove, loctite back in place and forget about it.

Several shooters have told me to shoot it and let the carbon buildup set the screw.

Of course they did. The screw can move in either direction until it "carbons up" Not to mention trying to find it on the ground after it falls out. If you want to adjust it, use 242, if you want to set it and forget it, use 271, or 290 which is wicking loctite.

Basically i have 2 loads now, 1 load is 77gr Sierra heads with VV N140 at 23.6 gr. and 2nd is 55gr Armscor head with VV N130 at 23.2 gr. what ammo should i tune the unit with?? :P i fear that if i loctite it now... and use the smaller load, it won't cycle properly for the other:( Question now s wat s the smaller load :(

You tune the gas block to the weakest load that you will use.

That means test with all of them, with a dirty rifle.

I have just set mine up, but have yet to add the loctite. I'm planning on peening one of the screw threads slightly to add some resistance before I add the loctite...

Mick

Edited by MickB