Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

equiptment freak

ogiebb

we have a guy in our local range that always looks at your equiptment and gear and always tells us that we should buy this and that so we can shoot better (A brand new bag is going to make us better shooters?????)..im sick and tired of this and finally told him off that its not the equipment thats makes us better(well sometimes :huh: ) its practice and practice and more practice, he just laughs and tells us that with our grungy gear we couldnt even get as far as he would go in the next few months.....guess what he still is in the same standing as us...

Great point. A certain GM in our area shoots with an aluminum mag well that was anodized black when it was new. The outside is still partly black but the chute? It's surface looks as if it were gnawed by mice! Not a spec of black is left on the interior from daily mag change drills. Obsesive drills. Any area of the mag well that can be hit during a reload has been hit, many many times.

You might tell your friend that such a piece of equipment will make him faster. Only catch is, he must create it himself.

Carlos,

you probably missed EricW's post about TT's gun and magwell... :P

ogiebb,

you have to tell that guy that, whenever we seek for technical stuff to offset intrinsic deficiencies, either we don't have enough will (and Steve Anderson can relate about what a well-determined competitor can achieve in terms of skill), or we're just lazy...

...and since he's advocating the use of so much technological stuff... B)

Some time ago, just to make sure my guns were performing mechanically well, I had three or four of our top shooters put rounds thru 'em to verify performance... if THEY could shoot straight with 'em then the guns were probably OK. It was now up to ME to keep all the bullets in the center of the target. There was nothing wrong with the guns and we verified that thru the process of elimination and individual testing... it was ultimately MY aim and technique responsible for 'flyers' or off-center shots. So I accepted that and I just keep on practicing. If I lose focus and drop a shot it's not the gun's fault. I bought both my league guns 'used' but it turns out they're just fine. The best part was that I was relieved to find out that it was not the gun's fault. :)

I have an odd mix of gun-case and carrying containers for my gear... and the guns themselves are wrapped in linen napkins stolen long ago from restaurants. Works for me. ;)

Yes, cool avatar. B)

I hate that too ... the good news/bad news is that one day he is going to have all the "good gear" and he still is not going to advance. If he is lucky he'll get a rude awakening and realize that he should have been practicing all along instead of looking at catalogs (retail whore). This will probably only happen after the rest of you advance with your imperfect equipment and he hasn't with his. I've decided to be polite and ignore these people.

Carlos,

you probably missed EricW's post about TT's gun and magwell... :P

ogiebb,

you have to tell that guy that, whenever we seek for technical stuff to offset intrinsic deficiencies, either we don't have enough will (and Steve Anderson can relate about what a well-determined competitor can achieve in terms of skill), or we're just lazy...

...and since he's advocating the use of so much technological stuff... B)

great idea im going to print TT's roughed up caspian and show the M*ron..its nice thats he's helping out the vendors by buying every new stuff that comes out. but it can be annoying to hear him say that his stuff is better or his brand new bag or new gadget is way better than our gear...maybe im just sour because i cant buy a new bag :P ... whatever...

Cool thing about OUR club range is we strut no pretensions, wear no special clothes (humorous t-shirts are permitted) and we sell our stuff to each other--recycling the gun goodies in house. We seldom retail ourselves to death... but do support local shops and local distributors. Wannabe types hardly ever appear here. We're not so much 'exclusive' or 'elitist' as we are just sensible. And, boy, do we have FUN. :D B)