Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting Ready for my first!...

GMyers

I will shoot my first IDPA Classifier this Saturday morning.  I have been reading BE's book but his concepts will take a little time to fully develop.  Does anyone have any "last minute tips for rookies", as I begin my climb?

I have taken a real liking to practical pistols sports and hope to also find IPSC and/or Steel in my area.  I feel any competative shooting will help all of my shooting.  TAI

GM

The best advice I can give you is to try to be smooth  and not worry too much about speed.

In Stage 1 of the classifier, you will engage targets  singly with two body shots and one head shot.  Many shooters shoot a rapid 2 shots to the body, then try to engage the head at the same speed.  Better you get a sight picture for each shot.   Same for string 4, which is 2 shots to the head T1-T3.  Those 9 head shots in stage 1 will  make or break the classifier for many.

On stage 2, take your time shooting the targets while advancing and retreating. Don't forget to move, but don't run.  

On stage 3, take the time to get your hits at 20 yards.  I have SO'ed many shooters who did very well at the 7 and 10 yard ranges, only to not do so well at 20.  Take your time and don't rush.  Remember to tac load or RWR when required  and to take the magazine with you. Be sure you understand how to "slice the pie"  around that barricade too. Always take the first target you see as you work around the barricade.  Take some dry fire time to see how it is to shoot around a low obstacle, and from a barricade.

Remember each point down costs 1/2 second so it does not take that many bad hits to show you just how costly hurrying shots can be.  Many shooters get highly interested in being classified and as such, bring too much pressure with them to the event.  The classifier is a perfect example of you shooting only against yourself.  

Most people shooting the IDPA classifier shoot the first and second stages in half of their total time; the third stage accounts for the other half of their time.  I cannot emphasize enough, that you should only shoot it as fast as you can see the -0 zone on the targets.  Also make the R.O. explain to you what you need to do on each string before you tell him you're ready.  Then don't worry about what comes next, just concentrate on the small chunk you need to shoot after the buzzer goes off.  Good R.O.s will make sure to ask you to check for sufficient ammo in the gun before each run.  Good Luck, let us know how you made out.

Well, I am offically a MM in CDP now.  I totalled just over 159 seconds.  My accuracy was down compared to what I have done in practice.

I think it is time for some work on the mental game.  I feel sure, at this point, I psyc'ed myself out of a SS rating because my raw time was well within SS even if I were, on average, 10 points down per stage.

After a little time analysis... I now know I can slow down a little, improving my sight picture, and still make the grade.

Do any of you guys do any warmup shooting before a match?  I did notice that my first few magazines during practice (and the classifier) are really off.  A little bit of warmup and things improve quickly.  Any thoughts?

GM

IDPA is completely different than USPSA, yet all the same.

allow me to explain, IDPA, you MUST slow down and make those hits! no if's an's or but's about it! i have seen ONE ipsc GM fly through the classifier and be fast enough to make master even with a LOT of points down. thats one of many that didn't make it. with .5 seconds for each shot out of the a zone ( -0 ring) it makes it more important to get the round in there. you can do a hell of a lot of aiming in .5 seconds. so misses ( ex. uspsa's hosing getting A&C fast instead of 2A slow) won't work.

if you want to get better, practice dryfiring-draws a lot at home, and your reloads. remember fast isn't fast, smooth is fast.

shoot strait!

steve

Thanks Steve.  The concept of smooth-is-fast is starting to sink in.

I was checking out a couple of threads last night concerning fiber optic sights and one of the ideas BE presented was that FOS's may be too bright and therefore one may not be giving full focus to the front site because it shows up so well in peripheral vision.  I got to thinking about this and this may very well be the situation that I am in.  Tonight I think I will put the factory post back on and try again.

Thanks again!

something that i picked up from Ernest Langdon ( hail the beretta god! ) was a white line on the front sight, a very simple thing, jerks your eye into it, and helps you focus, mainly in low light shooting.... just an idea.... i tend to agree with brian on that fiber optics issue....