Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Medium Course Design

Graham Smith

I started another topic on the Speed Shoot rule which raised an interesting point. Here is the thread . Look at the comment by Poppa Bear about a discussion with John Amidon. Essentially it says that the rule about no more than 8 shots from one location does not mean that you have to move your feet. All you have to do is change your view.

This raises some interesting design points. If you have a limited area to work in, how can you maximize the fact that you can basically have someone stand in one place and shoot 16 rounds without violating the rules?

Ports, walls, barrels. If you keep a rear fault line close enough to make them shift their view from opening to opening, it works. What gets dicey to me is a box where you can see all of the targets without shifting your feet and or leaning your body to see other arrays.

how can you maximize the fact that you can basically have someone stand in one place and shoot 16 rounds without violating the rules?

Just over a week ago I designed a stage that utilizes this aspect.

27 rounds, 5 views, 1 location, Double Barrel Star And Steel.

Leonard

27 rounds, 5 views, 1 location, Double Barrel Star And Steel.

Well, that would be a long course, not a medium course. And while it's the same rule, a long course carries with it some additional baggage, which is why I started the topic as dealing with medium courses. One hurdle at a time.

By way of example -

Assume a Bianchi barricade with 3 targets on each side. If the shooter tried, they could shoot all 6 from one side but they would have to wrap themselves around to do it - it would be easier to just shoot 3 from each side. Would that satisfy the requirement or would you have to use a wall on the other side of the barricade?

What about just the wall but no barricade? It's two views but the wall might as well not be there at all for all the difference it makes.

If I understand the rules correctly you can have 32 rounds that can be shot from 1 location and 1 view, provided all targets are available else ware in the shooting area, I. E. A 20 foot x 3 foot shooting box with 15 targets downrange all out in the open

Edited to fix stupidity

At least one target must be shot from a isolated view or location.

Edited by bluenite

I saw a video posted of a LOT of targets. Two walls on the extreme sides with one target on the other side of the wall. That was about as far as you could go. You could shoot EVERYTHING except one target from either side or you could shoot everything except two targets from the middle.

I made a stage once that had 16 targets just a fault line berm to berm and noShoots to block the views.

One shooter thought if he climed up on the berm (not legal but he did try it after the match was done) he could get all from there, it was a no go he had to run to the other side for one target.

Leonard

We use a lot of 4x8 walls set on the short side with the shooting area ending 6 to 12 inches from the edge. You can lean around it but you cannot lean far enough to see everything without faulting.

I will look at setting up some legal Speed Shoots and Legal Medium courses that require little to no movement just to give the shooters something different.

I will have to pay attention to the fault lines to make sure they run between the shooter and the wall just to ensure they cannot grab the wall without faulting. Otherwise some enterprising shooter will find something to grab onto so that they can keep their balance while twisting most of their body around the wall so they can engage everything.

We use a lot of 4x8 walls set on the short side with the shooting area ending 6 to 12 inches from the edge.

Hmmm... that gives me an idea. A wall with a port in the middle and a fault line on either end at a 45° backward angle on each end. Easy to set up three arrays of targets.

Edited by Graham Smith