Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding on a shotgun

I am getting ready to purchase a home defense shot gun. I have narrowed it down to either a FN SLP Tactical or a Benelli M2. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of after market there is for the FN. I know Benelli has some stuff and that it is expensive but at least it is there. I am not ready to change things right away as it seems both of these are pretty good right out of the box but might want some options later on.

Anyone that has a FN I would like some feed back on what you think of it.

I chose the M2 not very long ago and am very happy with my choice. I think either will suit your perfectly well. The reason I chose the M2 field model was that I preferred the inertia system over gas system and you don't have to change out the pistons for lighter loads. For the Benelli you'll want to get a magazine extension and a welded lifter for competition shooting, they are musts. I thought I'd get by on loading without the lifter and it takes a lot of time and agony. I also put on a barrel clamp and Nordic's fat bolt handle. Two musts for myself, but not necessary in most cases. I know where you can find the popular M2 field 21" if you have trouble finding one. FNH's are much easier to find.

CM

how much "aftermarket" do you need versus want? most everyone will agree to a working or self def weapon to adhere to the KISS principle. IMO, the only thing that could even be considered a "need" on such a weapon is a light, and there are plenty of non FN or Benelli marked aftermarket light mounts. save your mod money for ammo and invest in trigger time.

i say this as an owner of a FN SLP, Win SX2, and a Benelli M2.

but, YMMV.

I love my SLP, for several reasons.

1. Its runs, all the time with any ammo, even the cheap wally world stuff, not all benelli's will do this.

2. It is a little heavier than the m2 amd shoots a little softer

3. The rifle sights on it are very nice for long slug shots.

4. It is ready to run out of the box it comes ready to run, no new barrel, or add sights or rework action. I stand corrected, you must weld up the lifter, and c-rums does that for $50.

5. POI with slugs is very good.

6. it's cheaper and easier to get parts for.

7. It runs

only with I am not crazy about is cleaning the thing, but I don't do that very often. Having shot a Salient Benelli, they make the finest m2 out there and you would happy with either.

spartacuslv,

Just recieved my M2 Field a few weeks ago and have been peparing it for a match this weekend. reviewing the $ i have spent or am going to spend; from the out of the box...bang for the buck standpoint, i am envious of the SLP.

I thought I'd get by on loading without the lifter and it takes a lot of time and agony.

i was bleeding from the very first couple dummy shells i tried to practice load...lifter went to c-rums before i fired it...

My 3 gun plan is to pick up a 21" M2 field, send the lifter to c-rums, add a nordic extension, and then run it for a while to see what I want before sending it to Benny Hill.

For home defense, I have an AK as I wanted something that is always there for my wife as I would be taking the shottie to matches. Plus I could bury the AK in the backyard for 6 months, dig it up, and it would still shoot fine (at least to 50 yards!)

Did you have to do that much to the Benelli? Please forgive me but who is Benny Hill and what does he do?

He's a gunsmith outa Corpus Christi Texas and he makes Benellis run like a scalded cat.

Edit to add*

He can shoot a little bit too. :D

Edited by Newbler

Please forgive me but who is Benny Hill and what does he do?

Grand Master

Owner of Triangle Shooting Sports

master gunsmith

awesome 3 gunner

friend

seriously, he's the guy who probably dreamed up most of the mods other guys are doing to Benelli's these days. a true pioneer in our sports.

I am getting ready to purchase a home defense shot gun. I have narrowed it down to either a FN SLP Tactical or a Benelli M2. I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of after market there is for the FN. I know Benelli has some stuff and that it is expensive but at least it is there. I am not ready to change things right away as it seems both of these are pretty good right out of the box but might want some options later on.

Anyone that has a FN I would like some feed back on what you think of it.

Do you want a home defense shotgun or something for 3 gun? I consider those to be 2 different guns, as the requirements are different, imho. For home defense, I am going with a pump, 870 or Nova.

Is the FN model really the tactical model with the 18in barrel?

seems that most of the replies are directing you to a 3 gun setup.

For HD I would get a Mossberg 500/590 with 18" barrel. Remington 870 18" barrel. If you want a auto loader. I would look at the $ Mossberg 930 SPX,$$ FN SLP, or the $$$ Benelli M4. Keep it simple. Tac Light ( TLR-1) and good mount, I like the MT from www.cdmgear.com Velcro Side Saddle. Thats it. couple cases of cheap shot shells, some GOOD Professional training. HD ammo,, Fed Low Recoil 00 Buck with FLIGHT CONTROL, this stuff patterns exceptionally well in most shotguns, Cyl or IC anything tighter and you start to get flyer's

Edited by prc77

Let me ask my question once again as you are getting a lot of 3 gun advice, in my opinion. Are you looking for a home defense gun or 3 gun shotgun?

Home defense... get a pump! Like a Nova or 870. Both are running around 400 on gun broker.

I am not looking for a crazy accessory laden weapon just want to make sure there are some options. I do want to make sure there are some options. I do want to get an auto loader. Thanks for the input

Well do not want a pump but yes I do seem to be getting a lot of 3 gun advice but who knows maybe I will start shooting 3 gun eventually.

Let me ask my question once again as you are getting a lot of 3 gun advice, in my opinion. Are you looking for a home defense gun or 3 gun shotgun?

Home defense... get a pump! Like a Nova or 870. Both are running around 400 on gun broker.

What options are you looking for?

If you can think of it, someone makes it.

Well lights, slings, mag extensions, stocks and so on. I am sure that people make them I am curious to find out who, as in can you give me some places to look at because how ever I am searching i am not finding much. Also I was hoping to get some insight from people who own one of those shotguns to get some perspective on pros and cons of each. I am just trying to do a little homework before making an investment into what to me at least is a costly weapon.

The 930 SPX and the FN SLP have full length mag tubes. The M4 could benefit from one, http://www.davesmetalworks.com/ben4.htm but then you also have to deal with 922r regs.

Stocks,, they all come with one. and they are more than adequate for the HD role.

Light,, TLR-1 great light, will stand up to the 12ga recoil

Sling,, don't really need one for HD

Mossberg 930 SPX,, best bang for your buck. Any issues you may have heard regarding the SPX have long been taken care of. Buy with confidence

Great review here http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review

Edited by prc77

The 930 SPX and the FN SLP have full length mag tubes. The M4 could benefit from one, http://www.davesmetalworks.com/ben4.htm but then you also have to deal with 922r regs.

Stocks,, they all come with one. and they are more than adequate for the HD role.

Light,, TLR-1 great light, will stand up to the 12ga recoil

Sling,, don't really need one for HD

Mossberg 930 SPX,, best bang for your buck. Any issues you may have heard regarding the SPX have long been taken care of. Buy with confidence

Great review here http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review

The Mossberg was my other choice.