Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Disqualified at Ky State 3Gun Match

Bummer, nice recovery though.

Would that still be a DQ if the muzzle had never broken the 180?

Say the barrel were pointed more down range, and the shotgun bounced out like that but

remained pointed down range the entire time. Would you still DQ the shooter?

Where you are putting the firearm (down or in) isn't the issue.

We could make dump barrel 5' high and 10' wide, and when a pistol grip catches the side because it is "tossed" in, and bounces out.. this discussion starts up again.

The SHOOTER is responsible for safely abandoning their gear.

Pay attention to how you PLACE (not toss) your gear and DQs don't happen.

Nice video, looks like you were tearing up the stages before this happened.

Bummer, nice recovery though.

Would that still be a DQ if the muzzle had never broken the 180?

Say the barrel were pointed more down range, and the shotgun bounced out like that but

remained pointed down range the entire time. Would you still DQ the shooter?

Yes, it's still a dropped gun. DQ. Like Maineshootah said, the shooter is responsible for safely abandoning their gear. If it's dropped, it's not safe- even if it's empty and pointing in a safe direction.

I've seen this with both angled and straight up and down barrels, but it is harder for the gun to fall out if it is vertical. The bottoms of those barrels are arched, making it like a drum. A good rule is to NEVER throw a gun into any containment setup, it invites trouble and really does not save that much time. I'm surprised the RO didn't stop you right there, at least you got to finish the stage.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar situation happen to me with a 48 round magazine in my rifle. Luckily I was able to catch it before it came out. The mag caught on the side of the barrel. Lesson learned. I will either not use that mag if I have to dump and can get away with no reload or better yet I will drop the mag and clear the gun before dumping.