Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass ejection pattern for 10mm Limited?

kwesi

I'm curious: are all these 10mms set up in such a way that the slide impacts the frame at it's rearmost travel? or does the recoil spring stop the rearward travel? That would certainly effect how the brass ejects.

I've heard that the slide is designed to impact the frame and that coil bind on the recoil spring drastically reduces spring life, but I also know there are a lot of shooters out there (especially 2011/1911 shooters) using shock buffs which wouldn't do anything if their slides were stopping on the frame. My TS came with factory sock buffers which did induce coil bind, but also shortened the stroke to the point that it wouldn't cycle properly; without the buffs it works fine, but I'm not completely out on the idea of shock buffers.

Thoughts?

The slide does impact the frame, yes and also the coil binds as well.

The 2 issues the 10mm guns have are:

The guiderod cutout in the locking block gets peened out (because the stock guiderods fit loose) and eventually you can beat the small contact areas back until the guiderod pushes through.

The slide cracks below the ejection port due to the stress (and flex) put on the slide by hitting the frame and/or bottoming out the spring. The 10mm has TWICE the energy of a "major" .40 load.

I tried stiffer springs, shock buffers, the Sprinco guide rod, double spring setups, spacer bushings on the guiderod, etc. Nothing changed the ejection pattern until I shortened the ejector pin.

Also the problem I saw when running a 20lb spring with a couple spacers (to make it a little stiffer) is that it SLAMS the slide back into battery. I was worried about breaking slide stop pins. The cool part about the Sprinco rod is that it only engages in the last 1/8 or so of the slide travel, so it doesn't put much momentum back into the slide when its going forward.

I really gave close attention to my 9mm Limited yesterday. The 115gr's going 1150 FPS would dribble out going no more than 1'. The Grizzly 90gr going 1600 FPS went about 5'-6' so cutting it would make no sense on the weak stuff. As for the 10's... even the weak stuff goes a ways! I think with 10mm you still have great slide velocity and could cut it all the way back but the fast slide speed will pump it into the ejector regardless.

So .320 gives you 12' with what type of load? Any issues with the weaker stuff and how far does it go? I'm thinking you could go down to a nub in length but the velocity of the brass leaving the chamber will still make it go a good distance.

Have you had any issues with it like that or would you go more?

Thanks for your help!

I mostly shoot 155s @ 1380. But I haven't shot it in a year so it's hard to remember how far the brass went.

I think it was between 6-12 feet.

I don't shoot anything except max loads in that gun.

At first I thought about shortening it more but then I decided that was good enough. I didn't want to go too far.

Decided to just use a Dremel with carbide burr instead of a file for this amount of meat. I took the Limited down to .362" and the Pro to .348". When I try this upcoming week I will take a tape to get distance. The plan is to use the use hot and weak ammo just to make sure I can eject the weaker stuff too.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to just use a Dremel with carbide burr instead of a file for this amount of meat. I took the Limited down to .362" and the Pro to .348". When I try this upcoming week I will take a tape to get distance. The plan is to use the use hot and weak ammo just to make sure I can eject the weaker stuff too.

When you can make it to the range, don't forget to let us know how it works.

I went today. The brass is for sure at a shorter distance as short as 5'-6' but some going 15'-20' (hot stuff). None of it is getting launched 40' now and I didn't have any issues with PPU which is the weakest I would shoot. I'm not going any shorter because I don't think it will gain anything and it's getting short!

My last trial with them set at .350"-.360":

Elite Limited PPU 180gr FMJ
Didn't record them (hindsight). Most were 11'-13' and this is somewhat subjective due to rolling. The first number is FPS reading on the Chronograph followed by distance I measured with a tape.

Limited Pro PPU 180gr FMJ
1089 17'
1105 23'
1065 8'
1102 23'
1084 8'

Elite Limited Armscor 180gr FMJ
1159 13.5'
1154 9'
1152 13'
1162 18'
1151 13'