Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mid Bead sight

assaulter

I'm having a problem sometimes with canting my SLP w/26" vent rib Bbl causing some misses. A sponsored shooter with much more knowledge than I suggested that a midbead sight would remedy this. I was looking at a fiber optic from HIVIZ. Link Does it need to be drilled and tapped to affix it to the rib? Any other suggestions or would a different style midbead be better?

Thanks

Are you moving your head or canting the shotgun? If you are canting yes a midbead will because it will give you a reference point to look at to keep a straight line to the frount sight,don't have the midbead if you will look at trap guns you will see very few that don't have a midbead to keep you in alignment with the fround sight. Almost all the midbeads will require the drilling of the rib, some of them are pressed in and some are threaded in and then there is the size of the bead you want afew decisions have to be made, have never seen a fiber optic midbead, most are brass don't know if you could adapt one for turkey hunting the clamps on the rib or not, might be sometthing to look at before you have the rib drilled

Neverliked the mid beads and actually removed them from my guns that did have them. The gun cant is generally trying to get the pad in the comfortable spot on the shoulder pocket and the cant is the result. The best fix is to cant the recoil pad with an adj pad recoil pad so the pad sits in the pocket right and the gun is not canted.

Perhaps it is a fit issue. You may be strugling to line everything up to make the shot and not even realize it. When you relax and point the shotgun you miss. Someone who knows shotguns in your area should be able to identify wheather you need to adjust the drop and/ or cast of your stock so it hits where you point it.

Perhaps it is a fit issue. You may be strugling to line everything up to make the shot and not even realize it. When you relax and point the shotgun you miss. Someone who knows shotguns in your area should be able to identify wheather you need to adjust the drop and/ or cast of your stock so it hits where you point it.

I tend to agree that this is the problem or your not being consistent in how you mount your weapon. I you are shooting a Benelli is is rather easy to adjust fit with shims. For others, there are pads that attach to the comb of your stock. Ask a friend who shoots sporting clays as they will know someone who can help you with this.

Midbeads are used in trap to hit aerial targets but with the exception of slugs, all of our targets are at distances that would not require them.

You did not say but I infer your shooting a fiber optic front sight. I have to question whether of not it could be confusing to have a fiber midbead and a fiber front when you stack the beads. Most of the midbeads I have seen on trap guns are of a contrasting color (often white).

Yes, I have a fiber optic front sight. I have recognized that sometimes I lift my head slightly, but other times I have definitely rolled the top of the gun slightly inward. I've only had this barrel/sight combo for a few months, maybe some more dry practice mounting the gun is in order. With the shotgun, mostly I practice loading.