Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Riflescopes

Hey everyone, just acquired my first AR and am trying to decide what would be a good scope for a 3-gun match. Anyone have any suggestions? Whats the recommended magnification on the scope?

Considering the price of my AR and my recent acquisition of a CZ85 Combat I was hoping to keep the price of the scope down to a minimum.

depends on what your minimum is??? most 3-gun scopes are of the 1-4ish variable power, tho some people run a regular 3x9 and have luck with em, but they also get long and heavy,you might want to run a side mounted set of irons for the close up shots tho...millet?? runs an 'inexpensive' 1-4(dillon catalog has em) me??? i run a leupold CQ-4 but it isnt cheap last i checked jst my 2 peniies worth...im sure you can get a lot of other opines from the 3-guners out in the benoverse

Went through this couple months back after our local match found a new range where we could have 300 yrd shots instead of 60 or less. I ended up going with the Vortex PST 1-4. For the money. I love this scope. Very clear in my opinion and I have some high end scopes to compare it too. It would be nice for you to find someone local that may have one to look into to see if you like the reticle or not. I like it, but when it comes to reticle selection I find diff people prefer diff reticles so it end up being what works for you the best. My second choice would be the S&B short dot, but I couldn't justify the diff in the price at the time over the vortex.

• 2 weeks later...

hey that Leupold from the table is a good choice. well worth the money and it's a beast of a scope. see if you can find something better for a lower price, but I don't think it gets better than that. I had a friend who used it and let me try a couple times and it blew my mind how what a sharp piece of tech it was. Anyway good luck and happy hunting.

not the Millet. A lot of people have started there and only a few still have the scope let alone use one. I am counting the days until I can upgrade. With what I ahve seen from other shooters scopes, for a little more money you get a lot more.

Depending on you minimum... Burris Tac 30 would be my choice if I was getting into the market and was budget minded. Next for me would be the Vortex PST. I am trying to hold out for the Vortex HD. These are only opinions, as I liked what I saw when I was able to look through each scope. you may like different things.

Matt

Burris Tac30...About $300 and nothing else is even close until you get into the $800 or more range. If money is no concern, the Swarovski Z6i is probably the best all-around 3gun scope currently available.