Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil Springs

ericneth63

If it's a 45acp the stock spring is 16lbs. It's recommended to be changed every 3000-5000rnds.

Correct , Kimber ships their 45, 5" guns with 16s.

Most of the springs I have seen measure an inch shorter between 1500-2000 rounds and will depend on the power of the ammo(comp vs personal defense).................cheap maintenance to change the spring, most manufacturers in their manuals state 1500-2000 rounds in a 45.

If it's a 45acp the stock spring is 16lbs. It's recommended to be changed every 3000-5000rnds.

Correct , Kimber ships their 45, 5" guns with 16s.

Most of the springs I have seen measure an inch shorter between 1500-2000 rounds and will depend on the power of the ammo(comp vs personal defense).................cheap maintenance to change the spring, most manufacturers in their manuals state 1500-2000 rounds in a 45.

I always use a quality recoil spring like sprinco or ismi. I switched to a Sprinco recoil spring and been very impressed, I buy only sprinco now.

I have a S&W 1911 it has a 18lb in it. I changed to a 16lb. Will it be ok for reloads under the 165 power factor to work up to the 170 loads for uspsa? I am using 200gr berry's HP 4.9gr. TG at 1.225 oal mixed brass. This is my starting load for now.

Should I put the 18 in it or will it be to much spring??

Any help appreciated!

Justin