Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats wrong with my sized 223/556?

vwynn

Hey all been experimenting with the rcbs small base 223 die set..

i tried to resize/deprime some of my brass and found they are making wierd neck shapes.

Please see pics.

Picture17.jpg

Picture16.jpg

Picture15.jpg

any suggestions? i found that backing the deprimer stops the double bump thing but the neck is not sharp anymore :/

Are you using an RCBS small base X-die?

The X-die has a mandrel on the expander/depriming stem that is supposed to stop the cases from growing in length once they are trimmed and the die is set. There is a procedure you must follow to get that die to work correctly.

Since your brass isn't trimmed to a uniform length, the longer cases could be deformed (like the double bump) if the stem is screwed into the die. As far as the transition from shoulder to neck .... I would verify first that the die body is screwed far enough in.

Are you using an RCBS small base X-die?

The X-die has a mandrel on the expander/depriming stem that is supposed to stop the cases from growing in length once they are trimmed and the die is set. There is a procedure you must follow to get that die to work correctly.

Since your brass isn't trimmed to a uniform length, the longer cases could be deformed (like the double bump) if the stem is screwed into the die. As far as the transition from shoulder to neck .... I would verify first that the die body is screwed far enough in.

not to sure if its the X-die set or not but ill double check when i get home from work. I bought it used from a CalGun member.

Younger - I took the die apart and tossed em in the tumbler to clean intially. Afterwards sprayed it with brake cleaner to clean watever was still there.

DinosaurMikeGolf- dont think theres any obstructions but ill check when i get home

How far are you screwing your die into your press? what type of die is it? does it use and expander ball of a bushing and a plug? it looks to me as if the neck is not getting sized all the way down to the shoulder, but your shoulders also looked messed up. Stupid question but are you sure this is a 223 die.

Stupid question but are you sure this is a 223 die.

You might be onto something - the neck looks "too big". Could be the wrong die (with correspondingly wrong expander ball)?

my first gut reaction when I saw those pics like last week was correct sizing die wrong expander ball or mandrel. RCBS has really good customer service and I think a lifetime warranty. so if you can't get it to work properly, package it up and send it RCBS. they'll probably just send you a brand new one for free.

you should try calling RCBS first to confirm their address and the procedure for sending it to them.

Picture21.jpg

ok yes 100% sure its 223 hah.

hmm i will be tinkering around with the dies again when i have time... after midterms and finals.

my dies are screwed in all the way till they touch the shellplate. i think the culprit MIGHT be just me being a noob and not adjusting the die properly... but who knows

FWIW, I started out using the small base die and had so many problems with cases sticking unless I slathered the cases in motor oil (that's sarcasm) that I sold it.

Later, I was told that you probably only need to use this die if you are trying to resize brass for a .223 (not 5.56) semi-auto with a tight chamber.

You know, it might be an illusion but the length of your brass seem to be all over the place. Is the surface you have them standing on flat? Even some of the shoulders do not seem to align with the shell next to it...

ill look into the EGW. my brass are mixed 223 and 5.56. and my gun is 5.56 chamber so whichever works.

Kamikaze1a - Yea the lengths are all different since i have not trilled the cases yet. My plans were to size it and then trim it to spec so that everything is consistent in the end. Hopefully that method aint bad?

ill look into the EGW. my brass are mixed 223 and 5.56. and my gun is 5.56 chamber so whichever works.

Kamikaze1a - Yea the lengths are all different since i have not trilled the cases yet. My plans were to size it and then trim it to spec so that everything is consistent in the end. Hopefully that method aint bad?

The IGW gauge is cut using the actual chamber reamers so any case that fits in the gauge will fit your rifle chamber.