Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 and light strikes

Suicycle

I took the new 625 out today for a test drive. I had put 50 rounds through it sighting it in early this week with no issues, other than a foot low at 25 yds. I shot the IDPA classifier and maybe about 65 rounds through a match. The match went well with exception to the last stage. I shot it after the 90 round classifier. In the final strings of fire of the classifier I was having one round not to fire per clip regularly and the final stage I was up to 2 and 3 per clip. I had ran a brush through the cylinders once after the sight in session, nothing else. The gun is a bone stock 625 PC model and the majority of the ammo was WWB. I had around 15 rounds of Rem UMC that I burnt in the first two stages with the Winchester. When I got home I yanked the clown grips off and looked at the strain screw and it was a full 2 turns out from bottomed out. I tried to tighten down and install the grips, but 1/4 turn from full tight is as much as it can be tightened and the grip screw start by hand. Is that enough to cause the light strikes? The cylinders were not dirty with unburnt powder, they were sooted like the outside of the cylinder and the front sight. The clips are all new and none were bent. I may try to shoot it a little tomorrow to see how it runs, just wanted a little input on where to look or if that screw being that far out should be the issue. BTW made MM by 5 seconds thanks to some of the clicking, that was a long session. I got more rattled by the misfires than trying to control the trigger and sights near the end. Still cannot count to 6! Missed EX by 12 seconds and change with my Glock in SSP. It was a busy day for a guy working night shift and trying to learn how to replan stages around 6 round strings. I AM HOOKED!

It will probably run ok but you won't know till you try it, be sure to put a drop of loctite on it if it's not fully tightened.

Glad you like the revo! I've been shooting a 625 in IDPA for about 2 months and it's the most fun I've had in over a year (shooting IDPA).

Greg

I don't think it backed out in 200 rounds. I just started having the problem closer to 200 rounds as the day went on. The screw was actually pressing on the spring a good bit and very firm to turn before it bottomed out, like a lock washer. I am looking for a diagnosis. I am not scared of loctite at all.

The strain screw may have been out a turn already and just backed out 1 turn? They will back out a lot faster than you think they would if not secure and that is probably why your problem got progressively worse as you shot.

Greg

This is not the first time that I've heard of this happening. A friend bought a new SSR about a year ago. During a club match, he started havig misfires. Gregg K. was on our squad, he took the gun to the safe area, pulled the grip to find the same problem you had. Tightened the screw, and like PFM, no more light hits. :bow::)

I get the screw good and snug, then a little more tweak with the correct bit size (#180-3). Haven't had it back off yet. Don't over torque it or round the slot. Push down on the top of the driver as you're doing the final tightening.

Blue locktite will work also.

Only my 2ctsw.

Are you saying the grip screw is interfering with the mainspring and won't let you completely tighten down the strain screw? If so, you should get rid of the grips and replace them with something that won't cause that problem, or you will need to fit a strain screw of a different length and then re-arc the mainspring accordingly.

I say this every time the topic arises, but I'm going to say it again here--strain screws are not "adjustment screws." The only good strain screw is a fully tightened strain screw. Ideally, fully tightened with a drop of blue loctite for good measure. If the strain screw is too long, shorten it. If the spring needs adjusted, adjust it. But one way or another, tighten that SOB down all the way. Otherwise, it WILL loosen up someday when you least expect it.

Hello: I just bought a used 625-3 5" that is giving light strikes and I found the screw was lose about 3 turns out. I have to shoot it again to see if that solves the problem. The same ammo works perfectly in my Carmonized 625 so I know it is not ammo related. I may have to send the new one off to have it Carmonized since I am spoiled now with the wonderful trigger and action on the 625-6 he did :cheers: Let us know if that solves your problem. Thanks, Eric

The grips are the Red/White/Blue JM style and with the strain screw fully tightened I can see just the slightest bow of it in the hole through the grips. They are going to be replaced shortly, two local stores were out of Hogue round butt N frame grips and I am now looking at the X frame style after shooting today or Pachmayr. I want finger grooves so I can get a consistent grip on the draw and reload if I do the strong hand, not sure I want rubber and finger grooves though. Looking at options localy before I order anything. The screw is bottomed out and snug with loctite on it now. I may stick some of my dad's grips of another style on the gun and shoot it tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

A bit of a late update on the light strike issues I dealt with. Loctite solved the issue so it seems. I was able to get away from an outage on night shift and finally shoot a steel challenge match. The gun ran well, user not so well. 6 rounds just aint enough to hit 5 plates most of the time! Anyway I put about 170 rounds through the gun without any issues and had a few sub 5 second runs, good for me and new gear. Had a few in the teens too :roflol: I did take a buddy with me that I shoot IDPA with and get him hooked though since he has a rugher mk3 on order. Now he has a reason to own more than the two mags that come with it. Thanks for the help all, and the X frame grips shoudl be here mid week to test drive for this weeks match.