Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switched from Zero FMJs to MG JHPs

JAFO

I am switching from 124gr Zero FMJs to 124gr Montana Gold JHPs, and I have read that MGs typically take a few tenths more powder to drive them to the same velocity as other brands. So I made up 20 rounds using my current charge weight and OAL, and 20 rounds with the same OAL but 0.2gr hotter. I've included the 20 round data string from my previous Zero load for comparison. All data was recorded using the same ProChrono Digital.

Common Data

Gun: Sig 9mm P226, factory barrel

Primer: Federal #100 Sm Pistol

Brass: Mixed range brass (tumbled)

OAL: 1.14"

String Length: 20 rounds

Previous Load

Bullet: 124gr Zero FMJ (actual weight ~124.7gr)

Powder: 4.3gr Titegroup

Temp: 58 F, Clear

HI: 1095 / LO: 1063 / AV: 1080 / ES: 32 / Sd: 8.0 / PF: 134 (using actual bullet weight)

Test Load 1

Bullet: 124gr Montana Gold JHP (actual weight ~124.1gr)

Powder: 4.3gr Titegroup

Temp: 84 F, Cloudy

HI: 1120 / LO: 1049 / AV: 1082 / ES: 71 / Sd: 14.9 / PF: 134 (using 124gr bullet weight)

Test Load 2

Bullet: 124gr Montana Gold JHP (actual weight ~124.1gr)

Powder: 4.5gr Titegroup

Temp: 84 F, Cloudy

HI: 1124 / LO: 1095 / AV: 1109 / ES: 29 / Sd: 8.1 / PF: 137 (using 124gr bullet weight)

I suppose the temperature difference could account for the fact that the MG's had almost the exact same average velocity as the Zero's at the same charge weight. But bumping up 0.2 grains really brought the ES and Sd down while only adding 3 PF. The MG's do index on the seating die differently. I tried seating one at the same setting I used for 1.14" on the Zero's and it pushed the MG down to 1.10"! :surprise: It's definitely good advice to check measurements carefully when switching components.

I'll be using the 4.5gr load at a match tomorrow. Hopefully it'll work well. I'll have to do some accuracy testing to see how they look. I got the best accuracy with the Zero's at this OAL. Is that somethng that tracks more with the bullet or the gun? I did note that the max OAL (bullet touching the lands) with the Zero's was 1.17", while the MG's are out at 1.82".

What is the length of each bullet (not the entire loaded round)? If one is longer than the other and they're are loaded to the same oal, that may affect velocity as the internal case volume will be different.

What is the length of each bullet (not the entire loaded round)? If one is longer than the other and they're are loaded to the same oal, that may affect velocity as the internal case volume will be different.

The Zero's are about 0.01” longer.

Interesting results, but when you allow for +-.1 gr from the scale and 5% error on the crono, it would account for why your results don't show that TiteGroup is reverse temp sensative. The 58 degree round should be the faster of the 3. Maybe there is some magic number on the temp when TiteGroup finds its muscle, I went to a cold major match and the Crono tilted at 189pf, from a 170 pf load at 100 degrees (40 Major). Well I didn't minor but it definately slowed me down.

If you measure a zero and a MTG you will notice it is .0005 smaller in diameter and I think that is more of what causes the slow down than the jacket material. I do shoot MTG and its a good bullet just takes a pinch more powder in an open gun, never tested that in minor pf.

I run the MG 124s in my Glock 34 with TG and can get PF with 4.1 g - I used to run a 226 and it was always slower on the Chrony than other guns of the same barrel length - always accurate though.

Some folks go to a Barsto barrel in the Sig to pick up some velocity.

Hello: I have not found that Tite Group is reverse sensitive :surprise: The colder it gets the slower the bullet goes. It is very linear as the temps go up. The Zero's are faster bullets than the Montana Golds because of the material used. G-Man is correct again about the mixed brass :cheers: The most consistant brass I have found is military brass with the same headstamp and then Starline for 9mm. One last thing is how dry your powder is. If you leave a bunch in the hopper in a damp climate that changes things also. Thanks, Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon, JAFO,

The ES and SD reported by chronographs is usually based on a 10 round string, depending on the chrono. That's really too small a statistical sample to get a reliable SD. That's certainly the norm, though, but from an engineering standpoint you need a lot larger sample. I've had two strings of the same exact load fired one after the other with noticeable differences in SD even though each charge was weighed, same case, etc. I was bored one day and wanted to see what would happen so that's why I did that exercise. And as before, my two strings are hardly a good sized sample! :blush:

Didn't mean to get off track...just thought I'd toss it out there for conversation.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Good afternoon, JAFO,

The ES and SD reported by chronographs is usually based on a 10 round string, depending on the chrono. That's really too small a statistical sample to get a reliable SD. That's certainly the norm, though, but from an engineering standpoint you need a lot larger sample. I've had two strings of the same exact load fired one after the other with noticeable differences in SD even though each charge was weighed, same case, etc. I was bored one day and wanted to see what would happen so that's why I did that exercise. And as before, my two strings are hardly a good sized sample! :blush:

Didn't mean to get off track...just thought I'd toss it out there for conversation.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Yes, the CED Millennium needs at least five shots before it will calculate the SD.

I would go with 20 - 30 round test groups and multiples of them. When I'm going to a big match, I take about 20 3-round test groups. Why you ask? Well, when you go to a big match, what do they do? They shoot three rounds, average, and get your PF. I want to make sure that I'm making the PF with only three rounds every time.

Remember in statistics, the sample size should be proportionate to the population size (depending on level of accuracy/confidence) using the standard formulas or tables. If the population size was 20 and the sample is 10, I'm sure most would agree that it would be sufficient. It's all relative.

I also don't mean to get off track but we have to keep tabs of the big picture.

Edited by gng4life